Do I have to file taxes ?

I’ve gone exempt for several months, don’t want to file taxes because I won’t receive much, if anything. Do I have to file? 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

If your income is high enough you have to file. The amount you have paid in is irrelevant.

• 3 weeks ago

That depends on how much you made for the year. If over about $10K, yes if you are not a dependent.

• 3 weeks ago

Suuuuuuuuuuuuure

• 3 weeks ago

You are a bit earlier. 2019 1040 tax reports are not due until 4/15/2020. I suggest you fill out the report (use an online efile program) and then you will know for sure.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

If your wages were more than $12,200, you are required to file.

Putting exempt on your W-4 means you believed you would earn less than $12,200.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If you made enough money to have to file, then YES. Filing calculates what you OWE. If you get anything back it's only because you overpaid your withholding, or are eligible for a refundable credit.By going exempt for several months if you made enough to pay any tax, you have broken the law put yourself in a very bad situation where you'll probably owe when you file, and very possibly will be fined also.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, you have to file. If you didn't have to file, and you choose to file anyway, then you would have gotten back all the income tax withheld. If that you wouldn't get back much, that alone tells me that you have to file.

• 3 weeks ago

It's based on your income, if you're below a certain amount you don't need to file.

• 3 weeks ago

sdfsdsdfdsfsddsfdsfdsfsdfs

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i would call a tax place and ask them this question

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.