Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 3 weeks ago

In one hour from now, how many miles will I have traveled from my original point in the universe?

the starting point is now, I'll just be sitting in my living room

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Approximately 66,000 miles.

The Earth when orbiting the Sun travels at approximately this speed.

If you liver at the Equator you will have travelling 1000 miles ; rotational speed at the equator.

If you live at 60o N or S you will have travelled approximately 500 miles ; rotational speed at these latitudes.

• John P
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

In looking at that question, you have to understand also that you "original point" will also have travelled a long distance from where it was an hour ago.

• 3 weeks ago

It depends how big you think

• 3 weeks ago

You and your location are moving in multiple directions. Your latitude, EXACT latitude, determines the speed you are orbiting Earth's rotational axis. Earth is rotating around the sun, the Sun at 67,000 mph (110,000 kph)/ and entire Soar System is rotating around Sagittarius A*, the Milky Way Galaxy is moving through the Local Group and is Moving toward the Andromeda I (M31) Galaxy at 2,100,000 mph. I am not going to do the vector math. Calculus 3 was 1994.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

You will not have moved at all. The universe will have moved and revolved around you.

• 3 weeks ago

It depends on where on the earth you are located, and when "now" is.

internet:

For those of us living at Earth's midlatitudes the rate is almost a thousand miles an hour. The rate is higher at the equator and lower at the poles. In addition to this daily rotation, Earth orbits the Sun at an average speed of 67,000 mph, or 18.5 miles a second.

The Sun, Earth, and the entire solar system also are in motion, orbiting the center of the Milky Way at a blazing 140 miles a second. or about 500000 mph

The Milky Way itself is moving through intergalactic space. Our galaxy belongs to a cluster of nearby galaxies, the Local Group, and together we are easing toward the center of our cluster at a leisurely 25 miles a second. 90000 mph

If all this isn't enough to make you feel you deserve an intergalactic speeding ticket, consider that we, along with our cousins in the Local Group, are hurtling at a truly astonishing 375 miles a second toward the Virgo Cluster, an enormous collection of galaxies some 45 million light-years away. that is 1350000 mph

The vector sum of those three depends on the starting point and time. Best case, they add to 2000000 mph.

The sum of those 4 vectors as a function of time is a complicated calculation which would need the right software.

• 3 weeks ago

The Local Group is moving by 600 km/s relatively to the cosmic microwave background.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.