Would you allow your children to say things like this to other kids as a joke?

When I was really young I used to call my stepbrother a doofus as a way to joke around with him and well his mother basically tolerated this and didn't tell me to quit saying that to her son and we'd even be saying it to each other too. Yeah I know that doofus isn't a bad word but it's not a nice thing to call someone either and as an adult I find this unacceptable even if you're joking around. So would you allow your kids to call each other a doofus if they're joking around? Also I'm using my experience as an example, I'm not dwelling on the past or anything.

• Edna

Amost all kids call their siblings or their friends "doofus", or "dummy" or some such names; and their siblings and friends call them the same thing. It means nothing, and all kids do it to each other, at one time or the other.

• Charlie2 months agoReport

Yeah but they always get told off for it too. For example there was an incident on our school playground where one of my classmates called another classmate a mama's boy and our teacher told him that this isn't very nice.

Nor do I Anonymous number one.

• Charlie1 month agoReport

This is a word that describes people who are stupid.

ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE

It's the intention, not the word. Fromm the 70'-90's i worked in a predominately black area and made quite a few friends. Still in touch with a few, but Katrina scattered most of us away. A little after Katrina I worked in a more white area and was at CVS. There was an older black cashier always polite and dignified. As I'm checking out a voice came from behind me, "I didn't know they let ni**ers in here". The guy [black ] behind me in line bowed up, the cashier was deeply hurt as she handed me my change. I held her hand and said,"It's ok, he's talking to me. Tall light skin guy with freckles"? She smiled, squeezed my hand and said, "Please remind him we don't speak like that here". I agreed, turned and hued him. We hadn't seen each other in years.

It's the intention of words that hurt, not the words. Trust me, you had to be there.

gewoon doen. -_-_-_-

Yeah, that's fine, that's normal.

Your children will call each other names, and "doofus" is a pretty harmless one. It's on about the same level as "dummy" or "dweeb". They will get annoyed with each other, they will get possessive about their stuff, they will want their privacy, and they will engage in casual rudeness to each other.

Names are nothing too much to worry about. If they don't look after each other, or recognize the importance of family, then THAT is a problem that should be fixed.

• Charlie2 months agoReport

Yeah I agree that this isn't as bad as calling another child a ***** or an asshole but it's still not very nice though and kids should be taught that if they don't have anything nice to say then they shouldn't say anything at all.

I dont even know what "Doofus" mean  hahahahahaha