Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationVideo & Online Games · 4 weeks ago

Do video games *actually* cause violence?

I had a friend. He played Farming Simulator once. Later that night he cut his neigbour’s head off with a sickle.

Violence has been going on sinse the beginning of time, so no it does not I don't see why people think that

ever since I caught my little brother playing mario, he has been jumping on our pet cat's head nonstop, and is currently suffering withdrawal symptoms from his mushrooms addiction. :(

Not unless the person in question is insane.

yes, my son was playing minecraft.

later the morning he was punching trees.

Not unless the player is not able to tell the difference between reality and fantasy.

dude, it depends of the game and the person......fortnite sucks

I've been playing GTA, Resident evil, COD, etc since I was 6. Never killed one person

no, politics do

The proof is lacking one way or the other, which means that if there is any effect, it is a trivial one. Any risk of violence-related behavioral changes in a video game player because of the contents of the game is certainly less than the risk of a cigarette smoker getting cancer.

How do you isolate the association between video game violence and normal human behavior in a way that allows proving such a causal link, anyway? It is not as though video game players can be isolated in that way from everything else in society.

It is an overly simplistic claim, pretending that video games lead to a violent youth. It is like claiming that listening to rock music caused sexual promiscuity or satanism, or that church-goers are intolerant of differences in others. Things are never that simple. Often, even when there is an identifiable association, it is not possible to show whether the person was violent or whatever and thus liked video games that allow that violence ot be acted out, or the reverse, that acting out in video games makes a person more violent in real life.

The point being that there is no evidence to support the claim that playing violent video games has any impact on normal life interactions. There is evidence that playing video games is associated with beneficial cognitive development (puzzle solving and similar things).

Of course especially minecraft, i mean all that anger inside you from everytime a creeper blows up your house