Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 4 weeks ago

Canopy bed for boys?

My daughter is getting one and once my son sees it, he will want one too. He has a Lightning McQueen bed, but it's time to upgrade as well.

I don't know how to make a canopy bed look less "girly' for him.

Any ideas? Thank you.

Btw, it's the kind of bed that comes with the top piece to add a curtain or canopy.

Laurie, my children are both disabled. Sorry, they suffered enough to just say "no". I can assure you, it's not for me lol. I'm not the one sleeping in their bed. It's best to give suggestions that not only appeal to you. It doesn't hurt to make a child happy. Just because YOU were brought up a certain way, doesn't mean I should follow suit. Thanks everyone for the help. I will be sure to take in all of your ideas and find something that works. I do love all of them. Thanks again! :)

Wow, you have gotten some really good ideas from people.

There are many novelty fabrics and licensed prints with dozens of types of themes (Disney, Video Games, Cartoon characters, Military, Nature.....). When I decorated my children's rooms, I took them shopping so they could choose what they liked. You can very well use a printed fabric for the bedding and curtains and a solid fabric with a grosgrain ribbon band along the edge. And, rather than have any gathers, keep the canopy streamlined and tailored, perhaps with a kick pleat, much like a bed dust skirt to keep it boyish.

If the canopy has a top, you could use printed fabric on the bottom side so it can be seen while your son is laying in bed, then use coordinating solid sides. Repeat fabrics in pillow cases or in the curtains to make everything cohesive.

My young son selected fabric that looked like splatters of yellow, green, red and blue paint on a white fabric. That fabric was used for bedspread and window valances. On the far wall, we had a little fun and used those colors in the fabric for him to make hand prints on the wall, each year on his birthday. My son is 33 now and when we redecorated his room, we took a piece of the sheetrock off the wall and framed it with his small hand prints!!

Within reason, children's rooms should have the kid's input. Like you said, it is their room and you will not be sleeping there!!

• Ann

I would make it look like a hunter's tent. Look on the Sportsman's Guide catalog website. They have some you could probably figure out how to fit over a bed that wouldn't be too hard to get in and out of. You could take it down and clean it occasionally, as well.

medieval knight bedroom---rich men in the middle ages had canopied beds--rich fabrics, dark rich tapestry--add a few swords, maybe a mace or two.  I'd put a knight in shining armor in the corner....

"Manly" fabrics, mosquito net. Camo, denim, khaki, etc.

Canopy beds are a royal pain in the arze. My sis had one from Sears, years ago. The frame was just cheapo plastic. Broke in two after a few years and had to be ditched. Too, it was impossible to get the fabric to fit back on one after a washing and drying. They serve NO purpose, at all.

• Nuff Sed

We have an antique canopy bed that is over 100 years old, in nightly use and going strong. The fact that your sister is a cheapskate isn't relevant.

• Laurie

Or... you could just say “no”... children do not benefit from getting everything they want.

I assure you, you are making these choices for yourself, not for them. Kids don’t care about such things unless you teach them to be materialistic. .

• ron h

Laurie, we need to have some balance in raising kids.  It would be helpful to know how old these kids are, but with the boy is outgrowing "lightening McQueen"  I'd guess he's 8 or 10.  I think a bit of Spartan influence is good for boys, but not much at that age and that's what fathers are for.

• C

If he's ready for something a lot more grown up look for inspiration in the "empire/regency/federal/gustavian" style which is a bit more restrained than what came before or after.

Here's some inspo:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/798544577662582122...

Decorate it with Things that he likes and paint it his fave colour ( Banners streamers stickers etc)

Hang a web of chains intertwined with hand weapons (axes, swords, nunchucks, etc)