Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdoption · 1 month ago

a question about babies born addicted to drugs?

I heard from another foster parent who spoke to a doctor who specialized in genetics that when a mother on drugs has babies, each baby usually has more problems than the one before. so if a mom on drugs had 8 babies over the course of a decade. The 1st and 2nd would likely have less problems than babies 7 or 8. What would be the medical explanation of this? Why might this be? I've never heard of this before

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Suzy Q
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

This is pure speculation, I don't actually know about this phenomenon. But I imagine the mother's own health would be significantly worse after an additional decade of drug use. She may also be using more or different drugs by now. 

• 1 month ago

Pippin's got it. Also there can be a progression from prescription drugs to heroin over the years. Heroin and other illegal drugs can be cut with who-knows-what. They ain't FDA-approved.

• Byrd
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Totally false......

• Pippin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Babies are not born addicted to drugs. Babies can be born dependent on drugs, or can be affected by the drugs the mother takes during pregnancy.

If you are talking about a woman in opiates, her own tolerance would increase over the decade, so she would need higher doses to keep from going into withdrawal. So that could result in worse symptoms for the baby after birth. And, as Suzy suggests, general health and multi-drug use could also be a factor.

• Suzy Q
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.