Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 weeks ago

I made a sandwich on the same plate I cut up raw chicken on, will I get sick?

I've never done this before

I ate the sandwich

most likely im pretty sure

stomach pump hospital

Will you? The next 24-72 hours will tell you.

• Byrd

Well stupid it is not recommended but not all chicken will cause illness

Toss the sanwhich

It's impossible to say. If the chicken was infected with bacteria that could cause food poisoning then there is a good chance you will.

Chicken is commonly infected with campylobacter bacteria (hygiene has nothing to do with it) and is a common cause of food poisoning:

https://www.food.gov.uk/safety-hygiene/campylobact...

I've only once had food poisoning and tests showed that campylobacter was responsible. I wondered whether a takeaway I'd eaten containing chicken was responsible but there are other possible causes too and there was no way to tell where the infection had come from.

Years ago I realised I had used a chopping board to chop up tomatoes which I had just used to cut up raw chicken. I only spotted this when I unloaded the dishwasher. The tomatoes (raw) had already been eaten. I was fine so the chicken mustn't have been infected.

There's no way of telling and nothing you can do except wait and see.

Added, I don't know why people keep mentioning salmonella - it must be the only cause of food poisoning they've heard of.

• Clive

Only if the chicken was actually infected with bacteria that can cause food poisoning. Why do you think it was infected? And if it was, why are you buying meat from somewhere with such poor standards of hygiene?

Be careful and don't do it again. Raw chicken molecules can become very damaged and/or deadly when exposed to uncontained sandwiches. Probably best to not make sandwiches in the future at all, unless you have the necessary safety gear. (Goggles, rubber gloves, bulletproof vest, etc.)

Did you really eat the sandwich? Oh f*** man... go to the ER before the bacteria evolves and turns into a wacky monkey that will eat your stomach lining.

Raw chicken can carry salmonella.  It's bad, but not THAT bad.  It does kill people, the old, weak, sick, and babies.  If you're generally healthy, it will make you sick but you'll be okay.  And there's actually less than a 50/50 chance you'll even get it.  So wait and see.  Or you could run down to the store and pick up Immodium and ibuprofen (if you don't already have them) just in case.  Don't try to make yourself throw up--that won't help.