Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 4 weeks ago

What happens to sufferers of MS (Multiple Sclerosis) who go untreated?

The last time my older sister saw her physician they had told her that they were 85% to 90% sure my sister is suffering from MS. 

Very shortly after that her husband had lost his job and all of their benefits including health insurance. 

My sister’s symptoms(including constant involuntary shaking, sharp zapping pains up and down her spinal cord, confusion, blurred vision, chronic fatigue, and impaired speech) are progressing fast and seem to be getting worse and worse.

There are many things that she is unwilling, but claims to be unable to do. I’ve suggested everything under the sun, including applying for Medicare, or finding a non strenuous job that provides benefits. But she is too stubborn and is in too much denial to listen to me.

I can’t help her if she’s unwilling to help herself 

So I guess my general question would be,

What is the worst possible case scenario if her MS continues to go untreated.

First a disclaimer: Bear in mind that it's unlikely to get this bad, even if she continues to go untreated.

But to answer your question. Absolutely worst case scenario? She becomes completely bedridden. Now MS is not considered a fatal disease, but if you're bedridden, then you have a higher risk of pressure sores, pneumonia, deep vein thrombosis and other issues, some of which can kill you.

She sounds as if she might have primary progressive MS, if she's in the U.S. then Ocrevus has been approved to treat PPMS, it will not cure her, but it could slow the disease progression, the rest is symptom treatment. She should be able to get medication for the shaking and the pain at least.

If she has relapsing-remitting MS, chances are that some of her symptoms are reversible, once she gets disease modifying drugs. Again, these don't cure her, but they might slow disease progression and give her body a break and a chance to heal itself.

Getting enough rest, trying to avoid stress, keeping a fatigue diary to learn how to control the fatigue might address many of her issues to varying degrees. I know from myself that my existing symptoms almost always worsen when I'm tired or stressed.

I'm not sure how you can get through to her, though. Maybe point out that as hard as she's working to help her family now, then they'll be in an even worse situation if she burns out? Or maybe look into ways to help them financially or help her get treatment (I know it's not always that straight forward in the U.S.), so that she feels that she's "allowed" to focus on herself?

Source(s): I have had MS for a long time.
    • Paula4 weeks agoReport

Thank you so very much for your input!

I wish you the best!

• Tavy

There is no treatment except drugs to help the muscle spasms. There is NO cure, so she is wise to carry on as best she can. My late husband had it and carried on working in a wheelchair.

UK

• Paula4 weeks agoReport

I appreciate you sharing your experience.
      I’m very sorry to hear about your husband.

I wish you well.

She could continue to get worse, or could go into remission. By the way, you are not helping matters by your blith assumptions. It's not as easy as you make it sound. "I’ve suggested everything under the sun, including applying for Medicare, or finding a non strenuous job that provides benefits. But she is too stubborn and is in too much denial to listen to me. I can’t help her if she’s unwilling to help herself ." A lot you know.

• Paula4 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the advice and valuable information :)

Removed due to insensitivity