Ignoring cost of living, what is it like to live in or around NYC?

You wouldn’t like it. Not protected enough for you. Life on the streets. You have to be tough and scrappy. Spirited. Rough around the edges,  but smart...

Sort of like living in San Francisco but with 4 seasons.

Noisy. Too many people.

• drip

I visited once. Didn’t like it at all. Would never attempt to drive in NYC. Although public transportation is so good you don’t need a car. For a big city I would go with Chicago,

• TheGOPHateAmerica

I'm considering them too as well as Denver

• Daniel

It's pretty hard to describe to someone who hasn't lived there.  I grew up on Long Island and have lived all over the country.  New York in many ways is its own little world.  

For example, you need to be able drive 70mph in a 50mph zone on a parkway designed before WWII, in bumper-to-bumper traffic.  Oh, and make sure you aren't driving a commercial vehicle, because the overpasses are about 9 feet in a lot of places.