Lone travel for work - reasonable or unreasonable?

I am a woman in my late twenties and had a promotion with work. At no point was I told by my employers that UK travel was required so I didn't consider this when I accepted the job. But now they want me to travel alone to other sites which are about 600 miles away with overnight stays on a relatively frequent basis. My family are unhappy with this and feel I will not be safe as a single lone worker to travel this distance using public transport etc. I have asked my employers if someone else will be able to travel with me, but my employers have refused. Are they being unreasonable?

I felt alright to travel initially but my family started to tell me some horror stories and it has made me a little unsure...

I did check role requirements before I accepted the job and travel was not part of it. I've been doing the role for 6 months already and now its suddenly required. I have traveled alone many times before to many different places for work, but this is a bit different for me due to the length of time I will be away and the distance (although still UK). I will do it for now but I'm going to get another job anyway as I want more money, especially if they keep adding more responsibilities.

Hi all, just wanted to post an update. I did the work travel and had to stay away for a week and further week long stays will be required as part of the role. I dont get paid any extra for this, I dont get paid overtime, work for unsociable hours or for inconvenience for being away from home. I've now been offered a much higher paid job (practically double what my salary already is) somewhere else with room to progress and better benefits. Travel will still be required but now I'm paid properly

Working adults often travel alone for business.

I am now retired, but when I was employed and had to travel, the company would not pay for a travel companion. Your employer will reimburse you for travel expenses, hotels, food, etc.

• Judy

What, at your age you need s babysitter? You are being absolutely ridiculous to make a request like that. It would double their cost. They send the number of people they need to get the job done. If that's one person, they don't send two. If you can't or are not willing to do your job, ask for a demotion or find a new job.

• Eva

No. You are being silly. Your employer is not going to go to the added expense of providing you with a bodyguard. Many people (including single women!) do it all the time. I've traveled alone most of my life and NEVER had an issue.

• Tavy

Single lone worker on public transport?? Thousands of women travel alone every day of the week. What is the matter with you? Women travel from the outskirts of London to work every day by train and tube and bus.

10 year old kids travel by train, old grannies (myself) travel , pull yourself together. You must have had a sheltered upbringing.

• audrey

You're kind of a wuss. At your age traveling alone should not be a problem. Just quit and go work at a fast food joint. You'll never be alone there.

Um, no. Pull your socks up and do your job. I know several women who travel worldwide alone, either for business or pleasure. No more incidents of safety issues than among men doing the same thing.

Travelling for business is part and parcel of many people's working lives whatever age or sex they are.

You are not 18 and they are not asking you to travel round Somalia or rural Pakistan.

You are not obligated to continue to work for this employer.

• Donald

NO,you are, so tell them you no longer want the job. If you are not happy, quit if they won't give you your old job back.