Atheists - What do you think caused the 10 plagues of Egypt?

Isn't it coincidental that at the same time Moses was asking for Pharaoh to release the Israelites from slavery, 10 horrible natural disasters struck Egypt? It really strains credibility.

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Git
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

Yes, it was no coincidence. It was god’s work for sure.

That is how vicious god was. God, being omnipotent, could have changed the pharaoh’s mind in many ways or even struck the pharaoh dead. But god chose to kill children and people of Egypt instead.

Compared god to the pharaoh, the pharaoh was far more merciful for he rather let the Jews leave then let his people die. God, being the creator of all creations, which included both the Jews and Egyptians, is willing to let the innocent Egyptian children and peasants suffers.

• 4 weeks ago

Everything God does is completely natural. Nonbelievers refer to these miracles as Luck or Coincidence.

• JASON
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

I've seen two TV programmes that logically explain these, one was done by the BBC years ago.

• David
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

What else could atheists do, but DENY it altogether, and might I add, w/o any evidence whatsoever? Their standard modus operandi: deny, blame, accuse, disrupt, obfuscate, defecate, desecrate and violate.

Here are some empirical facts instead of links and empty opinions and videos.

Leiden Museum in Holland.

Papyrus # 348 Documents Hebrew slaves building monuments in Egypt

Papyrus # 344 Ipuwer Documents the 10 plagues.

Brooklyn Museum

Brooklyn Papyrus 35.1446 Contains list of slaves - more than half Hebrew names including one Midwife named in Exodus.

I also should mention historians who cited sources from the Library at Alexandria confirming Hebrew slaves in Egypt. Two of these historians (Eusebius and Artapanus) specifically name Moses as Egyptian royalty.

Corroborating the Bible, this evidence solidifies the fact of Hebrew slaves in Egypt, but still does not address the Exodus, through the end of the life of Moses.

The story of the Walls of Jericho has been verified by three different international teams over several decades. Every detail of the story from the Bible that could be verified from such a dig has been affirmed. All of the walls were down except the North wall, probably where Rahab lived. Any invading army other than Joshua would have taken the valuable pots of oil and grain before burning the city. The storage pots were full, ready for a year-long siege behind strong walls, but their walls came down, exactly as depicted in the Bible.

Accurate, detailed, verifiable truth with empirical scientific evidence, testable, repeatable, confirmed and verified evidence. I can now properly ASSUME the other parts of the story in the Bible I can't prove or disprove are likely true also.

What is the significance of this, other than forming a proper belief in the truth and facts of the evidence of reality historically? Jericho is the end result of the Exodus, for which evidence has never before been found and ASSUMED to be myth, but is now fact; similarly to Moses and Noah.

According to the Bible, Pharaoh's refusal to let the Hebrews go brought the wrath of God down on Egypt in the form of the 10 Plagues.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

What REALLY strains credibility is that you seem to think any of those events actually happened, when there is no...zero...zippo evidence of it and no confirmation from any of the historians or scribes of that era. Were you always this credulous, or did you become more so over time?

• barty
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The ten plagues are fiction. There is no actual evidence that those things happened.

The story is internally inconsistent. One plague kills all the livestock, then a few days later all the livestock gets killed again. No one seemed to notice that continuity error when they made the story up.

• 4 weeks ago

I don't know that there is any good evidence that they ever happened at all. If they did, they would have been the result of natural events. Here is an article which suggests some possibilities: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-n... though I suspect they are really very speculative.

• 4 weeks ago

gee..... all those hieroglyphs engraved in stone and people's stories painted in their tombs and monumental stele recording all the days of Egyptian life say nothing about the fable that Moses concocted to scare the bejeezus out of the people he lured into the desert.

• 4 weeks ago

Nothing because they did not happen. There is absolutely no evidence that Moses existed and the Exodus happened. Back a number of years the Israeli government tasked Israeli Archaeologists to find evidence for Moses and the Exodus. They found nothing! If 2,000,000 people pulled out of Egypt and wandered the desert for 40 years there would be mountains of debris. There is nothing! If 2,000,000 people were to leave Egypt and just follow the coast line the first in like would have reached there goal in 2 weeks and there would still be people leaving Egypt at the back of the line. Wake up people the bible is just a storybook with no historical evidence to support it.

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

I have always understood that the number '40' is used often in the Old Testament as a symbol of 'a very large number'.

• 4 weeks ago

I have pondered this conundrum for many, many years.

If Prof. Hugh was around he would surely be able to shed some light on the subject.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.