Savannah asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Is it a good idea to get two cats?

Hi All,

I recently moved to an apartment of my own and would like to get two cats. I’m basically away from home for 8 hours (max) on Saturday, 10 hours three days during the week, and 14 hours two days a week. Would it be a bad idea to get two cats? A couple of people have told me that the cats will get bored and destroy the house, but I don’t know that that ever happened with cats my family had throughout childhood. Wondering if it would be bad or selfish (because I work so much) to get two cats? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

having two cats is fine. A small apartment might be a problem (they need a bit of room to keep from getting bored and to have their own safe spots) but otherwise cats mostly like having another animal around rather than being alone. They won't destroy the place if you give them a lot of attention when around and they have proper litter boxes and scratching post. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they might find some particular piece of furniture to be their place to scratch, though. That can happen.

If you have lived with cats before, you know the deal. Fur shedding can be a problem with some cats.

Personally, I prefer two cats rather than one. I think it keeps the cats sane.

• Ocimom

Cats actually want company. I always recommend two kittens if under 8 months old. Since you want two, check out the rescue groups in your area - they often have bonded pairs that need to be placed together. This way you wouldn't have two strange cats that need to bond - the cats already are bonded :)

• Ken S

As long as you are keeping them for 20 years it would be great

• PAMELA

If you are away from home that long then you should not have pets, apart from anything else when the hell would you be able to see them, care for them, feed them, empty litter trays, all that has to be done.

• Nathan

You need to be able to play with them both for 2 hours a day; feed them twice a day; clean their litter boxes twice a day (they need two each to avoid them going elsewherel; and they must have enrichment for when you're gone. They sleep for 16 hours a day so you being gone for 14 wouldn't be very bad.

Rescue two adult cats, preferably a bonded pair.  Kittens need a lot more attention, not to mention more likely to destroy the house.  There are thousands of adult cats that need a forever home.  Two cats will keep each other company -- don't forget cats spend most of their time sleeping -- and will be twice the joy greeting you at the door when you come home.  It is not selfish, it is generous.  

• Eva

I would be good to get two since they can play and keep each other company. They may get into some mischief, but probably not as much as a single one would. Cats don't seem to mind being left alone. I frequently work long hours and they're glad to see me when I get home and haven't destroyed the place. They have a few toys and seem to keep themselves amused. Cats sleep a lot anyway!

Get a couple of adult cats. I would say 5 or older.

Get things for them so they don't get bored and so they have appropriate places to scratch. Cat trees, shelving, tunnels, small toys to bat around, cardboard scratchers etc.

You might also want to get cats that are less needy with attention. Some cats will be perfectly fine being left alone for hours. People at a shelter/rescue should have an idea of what cats would be a good fit.

Oh and get a pair that's bonded. If they love each other they will be fine because they have each other to keep company. If the cats avoid each other then having 2 cats wont do much good.