Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 4 weeks ago

How do I deal with not being included in any group?

It's been a month in my job and I don't feel included anywhere among the people. Today was a function in the office and I wasn't invited for photos. Nobody gave me compliments although I dressed up well . (No I am not looking for approval) How do I deal with this?

Given you are the new person in the workplace, be open to making the effort to reach out to your colleagues and engage in conversations with them. Invite someone for a coffee and a chat during lunch or after work. However, important to remember that many people like to keep personal and professional separate, so ensure you do not cross any boundaries that may inadvertently cause friction/tension. Also, you say you are not looking for approval and yet you make the point of saying you dress well and yet did not receive a compliment. If you do not want approval, why did the lack of a compliment bother you?

Become acquainted with one co-worker at a time.  A brief chat when you both get coffee will start the ball rolling.  You don't need to reveal your life story – simple "small talk" will be fine.

Workplace relationships are not usually like traditional friendships.  There may be "cliques" you have no chance of joining, and there may be individuals with whom you can interact.  Just don't expect your co-workers to do all the work of becoming acquainted.

please stop worrying

• `

You've only been at this job one month. What did you expect - a fireside chat?

• marty

It's a job. Do your work and get your accolades from family and friends.

you could try asking them to do stuff with you