Why can't the police stop fake Beggars?

Were I live there is swarms of fake Beggars- literally about 4 on every street in the city centre, and it's obvious they are not genuine- you hear them in the bus bragging about how much money they make and how they are going to get some 'rocks'. I even saw a genuine homeless person beating one of the fraudsters up. I do give money to genuine homeless people but the fake ones make it hard for the. Why don't the police seem bothered about stopping them?

Liberal Snowflakes won't allow them to shoot them.  

• In

The police do not have the desire to crack down on panhandlers unless they get aggressive and someone complains.  The best thing to do is NEVER GIVE THEM ANY MONEY.   They are adept at playing on your sympathy when they have no real need.  Assistance is available for those who truly have needs through various charitable organizations.  One thing that comes to mind is when I worked for the City of Atlanta and I would see the same ones every day at the the same highway ramps with signs saying "will work for food" when they are in sight of two or more fast food joints with signs saying "now hiring".

Targeting beggars is not seen as politically correct. One of the things that has contributed to Brexit is the perception, rightly or wrongly, that these are East European gangs. But they can stop beggars, fake or not, by the use of ASBO's.

Believe this or not begging is considered a legitimate occupation. the police aren't going to investigate a person begging unless a person complains about them and says this person is begging under false pretenses then the police have to investigate until then I don't have to investigate

Begging, whether it's 'fake' or not is already illegal in many places - so the police absolutely CAN stop them - they often just choose not to. It is not the best use of what are usually extremely limited resources.

• Cogito

Do you really imagine that the police have time to stop every single beggar they see to establish whether or not they're really homeless? Every single one would take hours!

They have more important things to do.

Never, ever give money to beggars.

Donate to homeless shelters, soup kitchens, charities - anything that's got official approval.

• In

If any panhandlers were arrested they would be back out on the street in a matter of hours.

That's the problem with people like you. When you give to beggars, others want your money.

• el stapler

Where I live, I get hit up 10 times a day for money. I'm not about to decide who's more deserving because I AM most deserving of MY money