Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

Is it mean-spirited and unprofessional for an HR manager to give unflattering nicknames for creepy people who come in and out of the office ?

I work at at a law firm.  A courier who delivers toners for the copiers is a little weird, but an outgoing and pleasant person.  Well, I overheard the HR manager refer to him as “scary ugly guy.”  At first, I only heard my co-workers use that name for him, which I simply brushed off as common, since people in general tend to never grow up and will forever be immature and mean even when they’re at work.  However, I found it very disturbing that the HR manager was joining in on the “fun.”  If I’m not mistaken, a person in the position of HR is supposed to set an example, such as keeping conversation to a minimum (translation: don’t get too personal with employees) and control unfortunate occurrences such as harassment and name-calling (“scary ugly guy”).  FYI, she’s also very vocal and is the type to probably get extremely drunk with her co-workers instead of drinking responsibly, as HR is not supposed to go overboard at company events.  Thus, the “don’t get personal” rule. Was she out of line for that nickname for the  toner guy, even though she didn’t say it to his face?

• `

If you really work in a law firm, you should know the best thing to do is stay away from office politics.

• xyzzy

You have very strange ideas about HR. HR is no more or less supposed to set an example than anyone else. In most companies HR is simply the group that is responsible for payroll, insurance and employment paperwork.

• y

she’s also very vocal and is the type to probably get extremely drunk with her co-workers instead of drinking responsibly,

Has absolutely nothing to do with anything, no need to add that to the question.

Yes, as HR she should know better then to join in the Reindeer games.

What is mean spirited and unprofessional of this nature has apparently been erased as the rule because the American President does the exact same thing on a regular basis.

It is both. For an HR manager to be behaving like that is particularly alarming, in my opinion.