Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

How do I stay cheery and avoid getting depressed at my cousin's wedding this weekend?

I want to have fun and enjoy myself as I will be getting to see a lot of family I like. However, I get sad whenever I want to be happy and enjoy myself. It is a curse.

• Ambar

Try to identify what is making you sad and why, to better understand and work through it.

In some cases, you may know why you are sad; in other cases, you may not. Regardless of the cause, or even if there doesn’t seem to be one, there are three things that have helped many cope with sadness, try the following tips, they may help you get through this weekend, and long term can help you cope or even overcome the majority of your overall sadness...

1) Talk about it. In the midst of his turmoil, Job said: “I will speak in the bitterness of my soul!”—Job 10:1.

Kellie: The relief I feel after talking to someone is amazing. Finally, someone knows what I’m going through. They can lower the rope and pull me out of the pit—saved at last!

2) Write about it. When sadness clouds your outlook on life, you might want to try putting your thoughts on paper. In his inspired psalms, David sometimes expressed deep sadness. (Psalm 6:6) Writing about such feelings can help you to “safeguard practical wisdom and thinking ability.”—Proverbs 3:21.

Heather: Writing helps me to organize the mental clutter that accumulates from sadness. When you can express your feelings and sort them out, the sadness is less overwhelming.

3) Pray about it. The Bible says that if you pray about your concerns, ‘the peace of God that excels all thought will guard your heart and your mental powers.’—Philippians 4:6, 7.

Esther: I was trying to figure out why I felt so down, and I couldn’t. I asked Jehovah to help me to be happy. I was sick of being sad when I had no reason to be. I finally broke the cycle. Never underestimate the power of prayer!

In addition to the suggestions mentioned earlier, you have a valuable resource in God’s Word, the Bible. Filling your mind with upbuilding thoughts that can be gleaned from Bible accounts can have a positive effect on your feelings.—Psalm 1:1-3

i would just try to have a good time