Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Can I feed my dog eggshell power even if he's not on a raw diet? ?

I have a greyhound and as a breed they're prone to bad teeth (I have to brush his) and arthritis. I was reading about eggshell powder. He doesn't chew bones/raw hides. I wouldn't want to overdue it so I was thinking 1/2 tsp a week? 

I also read it was safe for humans too that true? Thanks in advance. 

No, you feed him the right amount of calcium. Also, what is the POINT of giving him the shells if he isn't on a raw diet?

How is he on raw if he's not chewing bones? Are you grinding bone done with a grinder or are you serving him a prepared raw with bone meal in it?

WHY doesn't he chew bones? That's the best way to keep tartar off his teeth. Rawides NEVER - horrible for dogs.

Eggshell powder will do NOTHING to prevent tartar or clean the teeth unless it's being used an abrasive to brush on the teeth.

Eggshell is a calcium supplement. Too much calcium can cause a lot of problems.

Too much calcium in your blood can weaken your bones, create kidney stones, and interfere with how your heart and brain work. ... Other causes of hypercalcemia include cancer, certain other medical disorders, some medications, and taking too much of calcium and vitamin D supplements.Mar 6, 2018

Hypercalcemia - Symptoms and causes - Mayo Clinic

https://www.mayoclinic.org › symptoms-causes › syc-20355523

• Maxi

If you are feeding kibble it should be a quality one which has all the ingredients required, that is the point of kibble so owners know their dog is getting all the vitamin, minerals and trace elements they need.

Egg shell is 98% calcium so it is an easy source however for calcium to be of any use it needs vitamin D for the dog to absorb it otherwise it just goes through the body and is pooed out, so a raw fed dog the owner would give liver for that vit D and/or 'brewers yeast tablets' which have all the vit, minerals and trace elements a dog needs ...as egg shells are thrown away it is a great way to use them and can be beneficial for the dog but not for why you want to give it, it will not clean the dogs teeth , bones do and it will not help arthritus just like people keeping weight down, eating oily fish, plenty of exercise, keeping warm and using Glucosamine or a Bioflow collar which stops the pain and inflamation

It's true that Greys, and Whippets do tend to have poor teeth (to my shame, a recent dental for my Whippet resulted in multiple extractions, at 10 years old) but I doubt adding eggshell powder to the food will have any point. Provided the dog is on a properly balanced diet, it should all be in the bag. And sometimes supplements when not needed, can do more harm, than good.

Giving calcium, in addition to any already CORRECT & BALANCED dose in his food, has no benefits. It certainly WILL NOT PREVENT TARTAR on teeth, nor fix or help arthritis. (You help the teeth - by brushing the dog s teeth by allowing him to chew on teeth cleaning products or an occasional RAW soup bone.) If your dog has arthritis, you and your vet decide on the right joint supplements (which NEVER contain calcium) and it may include any necessary pain medications.

Instead, calcium can become TOXIC if in high enough => to people or to dogs. In dogs, as little as .5 mg can cause lethargy, vomiting, abdominal pain, constipation diarrhea or even KIDNEY FAILURE.

Source:

https://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/7cvzn-dog-overd...

https://wagwalking.com/condition/calcium-supplemen...

Yes you may. Although you will have to eat eggs regularly to keep up the shell supply which may be inconvenient. You can buy calcium tablets for dogs in good pet stores. I added one a day to my GSD puppy's food to avoid hip problems.