If Eddie Van Halen did not exist how would guitar playing be now?

I feel like after the 70's big 3, EVH of course changed the game with his finger tapping.

Randy Rhoads probably would have taken over and there would be more neo classical shred heads. But Jake E. Lee used a lot of tap octaves, Lynch also taps occasionallyy but has his own style

Plus not only his shredding/playing but his tone no one can match. His playing was right for that tone in 1978.

He also did some crazy unorthodox things like Cathedral, and Spanish Fly. Who knew you could do those

Maybe those players in the 80's would have tried doing that, but I look at someone like Brad Gillis when he took over for Ozzy, he used a lot of his whammy bar, I don't think many players in the 70's used it a lot till EVH started dive bombing like crazy.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

Because we live in a world where Eddie Van Halen played a massive role in the world of guitar playing, we can't know what things would have been like if he'd never come onto the scene. Anything we attempt to assert about a world that evolved with him being absent in it would be pure speculation. 

But logic dictates that somebody else would have come along to fill the gap. Randy Rhoads died in the early 80s, so without Van Halen to compare him to, it's likely that his legacy would be even stronger than it is today. 

And because so many of the other guitar heroes of the 80s were considered inferior to Van Halen, it only stands to reason that some of them would have been more respected, perhaps more emulated and even more popular. 

I think that Van Halen's staggering level of talent paved the way for a lot of the virtuoso players like Satriani, Vai and Malmsteen. Van Halen was much more approachable, but his playing demonstrated that it was possible to shred like a beast and still write catchy songs. Without Van Halen, those guys probably would have just sounded like a lot of noise and it might have taken a lot longer for that style of playing to catch on. 

But it's not as though music would sound completely different today if Van Halen had never existed. While he's still considered to be an incredible guitarist, Van Halen hasn't been relevant as a songwriter in many, many years. And while their first few records were very groundbreaking and influential, Valen Halen the band really fell off in the mid to late 80s and just became this silly gaggle of guys who your best mate's da listened to. 

The 80s was split between the soft rock, glam rock and hard rock/metal scene and the pop scene. Van Halen were considered a serious band - much more so than acts like Poison or Motley Crue, but people found it difficult to take them seriously as bands like Guns 'n Roses were hitting the scene, and there were some great players out there, notably Slash, but others too, who made Van Halen look campy and dated. 

At the end of the day, it's not all about who can shred the fastest. Buckethead is a monster, but his songs suck big time. He's a rubbish composer. That whiddly-diddly nonsense gets old after a while. Nobody wants to listen to some knobend like Yngwie turning his fretboard into sawdust for an hour. 

Van Halen is phenomenal, but he's also a tasteful player. That's his strength.    

• Mikey
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

All I can say is, Jimi Hendrix.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.