People who live in states with multiple nfl teams: how do the residents decide who to root for?

I have lived in Wisconsin all my life, where our team is the packers, 110%. from North to south, and east to west. So the concept of having 2 or even 3 nfl teams in my home state is obviously very foreign to me. How do people in states like Ohio (browns and Bengals), new York (giants, jets, and bills), Florida (buccaneers, dolphins, jaguars) etc. decide who to be a fan of? Is it all mostly just which city is closest to said fan? And additionally, do people tend to be a fan of one team and hate another, like a browns fan hating the Bengals for example, or do they tend to like all their home state teams?

• Jerome

We have a line you dont cross under no circumstances......lol

Kidding. But there is a McDonalds that sections off its store with color coded chairs. Color coded arrows under the counter pointing in opposite directions.

A burgundy gold arrow pointing south saying "Redskins 27.4 miles". Arrow pointing north in purple and black saying "Ravens 15.9 miles".

The battle of the beltway gets Maryland hyped when both are good.

I am a Ravens fan and think most of Maryland are Raven fans. Except around the Potomac river in Southern Maryland. Those Virginians are hardcore Redskins fans.

• RICK

I live in Texas with one NFC and ond AFC team

In the NFC I am a Detroit Lions fan

In the AFC I sm a Tennesse Titans fan

In the NFC the Cowboys would be my 16th favorite team

In the AFC the Texasns would be my 3rd favorite team

• Jon

You need to get out more.....the SE corner of Wisc is loaded with Bears fans.

Kenosha and Racine are heavily contaminated with them.  Much Bears merchandise in the stores.(many are refugees from Illinois)

People aren't fans based on what state a franchise is located. They're generally fans of the franchise closest to where they live. I know of no one who's a fan of a team just because it's located in their state. Cities get franchises not states.

No one in southeastern PA is a Steelers fan. They care little about the Steelers. Patriots, Giants, Jets, Ravens, and Redskins are all closer to Philadelphia than Pittsburgh is. Many people in PA aren't fans of the Steelers or the Eagles. People in northeast and north central PA are Jets or Giants fans, south central are Ravens fans, and many in northwest PA are Browns fans.

In Tucson it's probably 50-50 Cardinals or Chargers fans, at least they used to be.

• Okay your answer makes sense. But like I said in Wisconsin it is strickly a "state line" fandom along with the whole division of the nfc North pretty much. So that's why I wanted input from around the country where it is indeed more city based rather than Wisconsin state pride. Thanks you

New York has only one NFL team, in Buffalo. The Giants and Jets play all of their home games in New Jersey.

• Cory

States that have multiple cities with multiple large metropolitan areas typically get multiple teams. So its mostly based on where you live. NY is just a large city with high population and its borroughs almost makes it feel like two different cities.

New Jersey has two NFL teams.

New York has one

• It's all good bud. Really heavy this time around, if ya know what I mean. Don't take it personally.

• Jay

I am closest to the Dolphins but my team is the Ravens because I went to middle school with Lamar Jackson. Each and every person is going to have a different reason for their team regardless of their location