would you feel embarrassed filing for unemployment after losing your job?

I work for very wealthy people and have for six years. I think I'm going to lose my job due to no fault of my own. I'm a little embarrassed  though for them to get the notices in the mail that I'm filing for unemployment. Would you be embarrassed or no big deal?

My only embarrassment would be if I wasn't trying as hard as I could to get a new job as soon as possible.  If you are leaving the job on good terms, then I'm sure your employer would want the best for you, including unemployment support if you can't find a new job.

• n2mama

No, I wouldn’t be embarrassed, but you may have trouble with unemployment if you are considered an independent contractor rather than an employee. Do you get a 1099 or a W-2 for your taxes? If you get a 1099 you will likely not qualify for unemployment, I’m sorry to tell you.

Why would you feel embarrassed at being laid off?  You should file for unemployment in that case.  If you were not laid off but, instead, you were fired or you quit, then you should feel embarrassed because that would be committing fraud.

• Lolly

Why not? You paid into the system. Why should you be ashamed? They should be ashamed because they are taking away your job.

• Judy

no, you shouldn't be. If you work for them they know you're unemployed and why..

• Ramona

It's really no big deal. Unemployment forces you to a time limit to get a job. It's not like a system that you can just take and sit on your butt and not get a job for years. You have to prove that you are looking for a job and report that. So getting unemployment doesn't mean you're a lazy bum. It just means that you have to live for the time of leaving point A to get to point Z.

Fortunately in 32 years of working, I've never had to file for unemployment (knock on wood).

But no, I would not be embarrassed to request unemployment benefits if I lost my job due to no fault of my own. That is what those asshats have been paying those insurance premiums for - so that they can terminate employees who have given no reason to be terminated.