Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Why would a tenant keep renting a place if he thinks it's a bad area?

One of my long term tenants, who has rented from me for 16 years, told one of the workers working on my triplex it's a really bad area. It isn't the top of the line area, but it's not that bad. I lived there for many years & nothing ever happened to me. My daughter walked to school every day through the neighborhood, & I wouldn't have let her if I thought it was bad. Nothing thankfully happened to her. I've walked the streets plenty of times during the day. I wouldn't at night, but I don't walk any neighborhood at night. Something nowadays could happen in any neighborhood. Now the worker is afraid to continue working there because this tenant has scared him. If the tenant thinks it's that bad, why does he continue living there? His rent is several hundred dollars less than what I could get, but I'm OK with that because I will have to spend money to get it ready to rent out again. It irritates me how this tenant decided to tell the worker this & has now scared him.

The tenant probably wants to make you afraid of ever raising the rent. Some people just love to gossip. If the worker is afraid to work there I'd find another worker. It can't be that bad if the crazy tenant has lived there 16 yrs. Maybe the tenant should go buy his own house in a top of the line area. He could have done that instead of renting for 16 yrs.

The main reason people stay in areas they do not like is that it is all they can afford or all they can qualify for.

I lived in some of the worst "crack ally" areas of Las Vegas the 4 yr I lived there because it was all I could afford at the time & had poor credit.

Why would a tenant keep renting a place if he thinks it's a bad area? - Easy! Its probably all he can afford. 'Bad' areas or run down areas have one advantage - cheaper rent. He lives there because its cheap.

I once lived in a 'bad' area that seriously depressed me for over 10 years? Why? Again, because it was cheaper. Living there cheaply allowed me to have a life outside of paying housing costs.. I could have moved to a better area, but the holidays would go, the nights out would stop etc

His rent is several hundred dollars less than what I could get - well, there you go, not only is it cheap, its extra cheap.

It irritates me how this tenant decided to tell the worker this & has now scared him - so why be 'irritated' at the tenant for expressing his opinion. Why not be irritated at the 'snowflake' employee, who, presumably as a grown man - got 'scared' by this.

"why does he continue living there? His rent is several hundred dollars less than what I could get"

Asked and answered.

"It irritates me how this tenant decided to tell the worker this" Too bad. He has a right to express his opinion. Perhaps if you paid more your worker more he'd be less afraid.