John asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 8 months ago

Should I feel badly for hitting a possum?

I was driving to school the other day and the area I live in is semi rural semi suburban so as I was driving it was dark in the morning and I hit a possum. I only saw a flash of white, not registering that I'd hit a possum. It was only when I was driving home on the same road later that day when the sun was out that I saw its guts :/

Any thoughts? 

• Geo

Of course you should have some sympathy for hitting any animal. But possums are the only marsupials in North America and they are one of the most stupid of all mammals. So don't blame yourself, they are just too stupid to get out of the way or know a road is dangerous. Nature's way of thinning the herd.

You hit an animal and didn't know it? You "only saw a flash of white"? Not registering?

Sounds like you don't pay attention very well.

Possums don't move very fast, even when they run!

Shaking my head.

• Erik

If you hit it on purpose, that's pretty messed up. But it was an accident, don't worry about it.

More than likely the opossum isn't native to your area anyway, and even if it is you and your car have replaced the natural predator that is needed to keep nature in balance.

Hitting an animal surely is not good. Maybe you should consider buying a night vision system, which can help see the road clealy in dark environment.

Possums have bad days just like we do. It's not your fault. The possum just had bad karma and his destiny was sealed long before you came along.

• Will

Yes. It was just trying to make ends meet in a world overpopulated by homo sapiens.

I didn't know that I hit it at the time though because it was dark :/

and i dont know if we have an animal control up here

I've never heard of it around here

yes, maybe you shouldve called animal control so they can help the possum if it was still alive or get it off the road, accidents happens but i wouldnt have just left