Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 10 months ago

Do you have to sponsor your partner to get them Australian citizenship?

Or can they just automatically get it through marriage?  

3 Answers

  • 10 months ago
    Favourite answer

    Yes, you have to sponsor them for immigration. No, Australian residency and citizenship are not "automatic".

  • 10 months ago

    No, once the person has arrived in Australia on a "spouse visa", which is a temporary visa. They then must be resident, and still married, for two years before a "permanent visa" is granted. They then must wait another three years to be eligible to become a citizen. They can lodge an application after the second of those three years. Once accepted, they attend a ceremony where they swear allegiance and receive their citizenship certificate.

  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    10 months ago

    i would talk to immigration about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.