promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 8 months ago

Immigration question?

Can a man apply for citizenship in your country after being married to you for three years, without you sponsoring him and can he keep renewing his visa and stay in Australia longterm without getting permanent residency or citizenship?  

2 Answers

  • Brooky
    Lv 7
    8 months ago
    Favourite answer

    Absolutely not.

    Being married to a citizen for 3 years (or 30 years for that matter), does not make someone eligible to apply for citizenship or allow them to stay in the country.

    If someone wants citizenship on the basis of being married to a citizen, the citizen must sponsor them for a Partner visa which only becomes permanent after a minimum of two years and only if the relationship has remained intact.

    They can only apply for citizenship after having lived in Australia on a valid visa for the 4 years immediately before applying including at least the last 12 months as a Permanent Resident (i.e. on a permanent visa). There are strong moves afoot from the government to extend the time required to be a Permanent Resident from the current 1 year to 4 years. That hasn't been passed into law yet, but it WILL happen before too long.

    They can only stay

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

    No. Absolutely a violation, and not possible. Australian spouse must sponsor the foreign spouse, and the marriage must continue in good order to get from temporary visa to legal residency, and still continue to move on to citizenship. And it's NOT 3 years from date of marriage. It's 2 years to proceed from temporary visa to legal residency, then 3 more years to citizenship.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.