Is it right to dress up as a character you not very familiar with for Halloween?

I'm looking for a possible Halloween costume and I'm thinking I might want to dress up as the comic book character Constantine. I know a little bit about his character (he's an English bisexual occult detective) and I know what he looks like but I haven't read any of the comic books he's in or seen the movie or tv shows he's been in. I just think he's a pretty cool looking and sounding character and that I could easily make a pretty convincing costume with some things purchased at the local thrift store. But I'm worried that if I dress up as the character people will expect me to know something about him. What if one of my friends is a fan of the comics? Will they be mad at me for dressing up as Constantine just because I thought he looked cool? Am I overthinking this? What should I do?

• Steel

You're overthinking it.

drees up as who ever you want regardless of how familiar or unfamiliar you maybe of the character

• Silver

You can dress like whatever you want. He's a pretty basic looking character, except you know, he can make flames shoot out of his hands, cause he's a wizard. Honestly, you can just read the wikipedia page, that'll literally tell you everything you need to know if you really think people will question you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Constantine