Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

How long do domestic shorthair cats live?

• Ocimom

Average cat (domestic or purebred) that is spayed/neutered, kept indoors or under supervision outside, fed good quality food and has good vet care can live to mid teens.

• Sharon

the record for a pet cat is reported to be 34 years, but that seems like a human living to 130. I have a friend whose cat lived to 23, my oldest is 16

Any cat of any breed or no breed (like domestics) can live 12-20 years and sometimes longer if they're kept indoors, altered,fed a healthy diet and see a vet once a year and whenever ill or injured.

In January a domestic shorthair of mine passed away that was 22 years and 7 months old.

• PR

It depends on the care and life the cat leads.

Our indoor-outdoor cats have all lived between 18 and 20 years - people who say they live shorter lives promote things they have heard, but not experienced.

Our indoor-only cats have lived to about 16.

Either way, how you care for your cat makes a difference, including if you take the cat to the vet if it seems sick, etc. If you care for your cat and pay attention to its behavior, you can help it to live a good and long life. Anytime a cat is "not itself" is time to take it to the vet.

The length of the fur will not make a difference in lifespan.

i would ask the vet this question, they might know

• ZotsRule

Just leave this section. You NEVER have anything useful to say.

Indoor only- 12+ years, and when I say plus, I mean many. My aunt's indoor only lived to be 22.

Indoor/outdoor- varies, but mostly 8-16 years one average.

Outdoor(but still regards a place as home, is fed, looked after, etc.)/loveable stray- 6-12 years, on average.

Feral/no human contact- 1-5 years, at most. Many are killed, catch diseases, etc. and humans can't catch them or go near them because they are too far gone and don't trust anyone.

• It varies GREATLY on the area. Not every outdoor cat lives in the city or boonies.

Typically 12-16 years, but some keep going into the low/mid 20's.