Do employers benefit by listing jobs they don't intend to fill?

How do you know they never intend on filling the jobs they list? Are you basing your assumption on applying and never being contacted? There are lots of applicants to every single job opening, most companies do not owe you a call or an interview just because you applied. Why would a company waste money on advertising a job they aren't ever going to fill?

That makes no sense whatsoever.

I think they get some sort of perk, because I have applied numerous times for local jobs that have NEVER been filled. One example is a 'credit clerk' at a manufacturing plant that is close to closure. They have had that job posted for over five years. It never budges from the site. I have applied for it at least three times and NEVER heard back.

i dont think so

• Judy

no. It would COST them money. It's possible for situations to change and a job they originally expected to fill is cancelled. It's VERY common to get more applicants than they can reasonably interview, so only interview a few of the applicants that look qualified.

• DEBS

No, and I know of no company who would waist their time doing such things.