Can you become a truck driver with just a normal drivers license (Class D)?

In Tennessee? And assuming all else is well (ie no bad records and are a good driver). But you don't have any trucker job experience. If so are there any gimmicks? Does it pay pretty well? Thanks (:

9 Answers

  • JetDoc
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    There are lots of driving jobs you can get that don't require more than a standard driving license, but if you want to drive heavy trucks in interstate commerce in the USA, you will need a Commercial Drivers License (CDL).

  • M.
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    What kind of truck?

    There are weight limits.

    Go to your DMV and ask for information about:

    CDL (commercial driver's license)

    Chauffeurs license/endorsement

    Then you can answer your own (very unspecific) question.

  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

    Your "Driver's Training manual" would cover that in your area as to what size of vehicle you can drive with the license you got now.

    . Normal to me sounds like a car license.  Then you can drive pickup trucks and small delivery trucks up to 5 Ton?

    Yo Mama could drive them.

    So refer to that at DMV.

    Then ask truckers(and you will have to ask many before 1 tells you his wage.(it is kind of sacred to talk about it so they don't).

    . Or check at a Teamster's Union and maybe you can find out there what Union members get.  Not all truckers or businesses are in the Union so their wages will not  be Union wages,usually it is Lower.  But adequate enough and they don't have Union dues and they don't get the Government Jobs which are Union.

    No drivers here. They are busy working.

    Think about what the JOB actually is.

    It's delivering STUFF from pointA to pointB.

    Computers will never take its place.   GUESS AGAIN.  There are self driving trucks...not on the road yet, but soon it will happen and your job is gone.  Machines do it for cheaper.

  • Rick
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

    sure, you just CAN'T drive for money ..........................

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • RICK
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

    Sure, if its a so called van type truck, think large U-haul type and does not involve out of state

    Otherwise you need an ungrade

  • 4 weeks ago

    To drive certain types of commercial motor vehicles in the United States, the federal government requires drivers to possess a commercial driver's license (CDL). These licenses, however, are not all created equal.

    The type of vehicle you intend to operate dictates your CDL classification, and vice versa. Classes for commercial driver licenses are:

    Class A.

    Class B.

    Class C.

  • 4 weeks ago

    i would ask the dmv this question

  • George
    Lv 4
    4 weeks ago

    Truck driving is the lowest paid job worldwide and you are at the mercy of crooked cops if that's possible in your country. It's certainly not a glamorous job, I promise!

  • 4 weeks ago


Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.