Jack asked in HealthOptical · 1 month ago

Do I need glasses?

I told my mom I couldn't see the board. She took me to the eye doctor and I had an eye exam.

This is the prescription I got:

Right eye

Sphere -0.50

Cylinder 

Axis

Left eye

Sphere -0.25

Cylinder -0.50

Axis 170

Do I need glasses?

Is my eyesight very bad?

You probably will need glasses and, not really is your eyesight bad

Yes you should be wearing glasses all the time!

A lot of people with prescriptions like your don't wear glasses. However, you told your mom that you can't see the board at school. The prescription that your doctor wrote will enable you to see the board better. That is all I need to know to say that you should be wearing glasses at school.

• David E

Definitely not a strong prescription. It will solve a problem that you have and that's what matters.

• Byrd

Did you buy glasses there ding dong

you might need them and you might be nearsighted if you cant see the board

You are a little nearsighted with a slight amount of astigmatism in your left eye. Your eyesight is near to perfect so you will only gain benefit of glasses while looking at the board, watching television or driving. I don't know your exact age, but assuming the fact that you're still in school, you are still quite young and in adolescence eyesight usually still worsens.

• Tavy

Surely you would have been told at the exam if you needed them or not.

Look, no-one is going to second-guess an eye doctor. If you see more clearly you'll have less eye strain and will certainly see the blackboard better.

Negative sphere means shortsighted, and you are mildly short sighted. Cylinder relates to distortion from the shape of your cornea, and Axis relates to the direction of that distortion.

Let's put it this way: My prescription for short sightedness is - 9.5 and that's pretty bad because I can't function without glasses. Can't see a ball soon enough to catch it, can't see car license plates without glasses etc.