Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Do some dogs have higher IQ than others, and is it normal for some to be more athletic?

What if from the same litter?

Thanks.

Like I know the first born is always alpha right?

Like of one dog seems smarter, or one dog is leaner, or fatter? Or more fast and coy in the woods?

• "Do some dogs have higher IQ than others, and is it normal for some to be more athletic?"

Just as with birds, cats, chimpanzees, coyotes, horses, humans, pigs, etc, etc, those 2 answers are:

#1: Yes😇.

#2: Yes😇.

Surely you have noticed that BOTH are true when comparing individual members of your own family? - your extended family? - the people in your district?

And that the one individual that is best for intelligence is not necessarily the best for agility or speed or strength (depending on what you meant by "athletic").

Unfortunately you didn't define whether you used "dog" to mean

(1) every member of the genus Canis,

(2) every male canid but not the females,

(3) every member of the species Canis lupus,

(4) every male Canis lupus but not the females,

(5) every member of the subspecies Canis lupus familiaris, or

(6) just the males of the subspecies Canis lupus familiaris.

The word "dog" CAN be used to apply to each of those.

• "What if from the same litter?"

#3: Still Yes😇.

I deduce that you are not yet old enough to have begun studying genetics. The book that got me interested was the 1950 "The New You and Heredity" by Amram Scheinfeld, which was in the library of the BOYS boarding school I was at, so I had no opportunity to conduct "interesting experiments" to see what my own genes could produce in combination with the genes of females my age. Damn!

• "Like I know the first born is always alpha right?"

#4: Wrong🤢.

EVERYTHING - attitude, build, colouration, digestion, endurance, fertility, gender, hairiness, intelligence, lifespan, muscle-type, power, resistance to diseases, strength, vision, etc - is initially the result of WHICH alleles of each gene the individual has inherited. That inheritance is then either fully expressed or somewhat limited according the environment - starting with the mother's age & diet & health & the condition of her uterus, followed by the care & experiences the dam and the breeder supply, followed by the care & experiences the buyers supply.

There are an estimated 20,000-25,000 human protein-coding genes. The estimate of the number of human genes has been repeatedly revised down from initial predictions of 100,000 or more as genome sequence quality and gene-finding methods have improved, and could continue to drop further.

There are around 19,000 protein-coding genes in the dog genome.

With the exception of some genes that are not in the Y-chromosome that produces males (males have an X- and a Y-chromosome. Females inherit an X- from both parents), each embryo inherits an allele of HALF the genes of the sire, an allele of each of HALF the genes of the dam. So there are at about 38,000 alleles that a domestic dog pup can inherit, depending on whether it is X- Y- or X- X-.

You being a human, at present it is believed that there are about 40,000 alleles that produced you.

I wish that several of the alleles I inherited from Dad (myopia, cataracts, diabetes, macular degeneration, with some assistance from my mother's father's alleles) were different!

• "Update: Like of one dog seems smarter, or one dog is leaner, or fatter?"

I don't understand your the "like of" lingo.

Some dogs are leaner (or fatter, or taller, or smaller) because of the alleles they inherited of the particular genes that control those aspects. Most dogs are leaner (or fatter, or taller, or smaller) because of those genes, some did not reach the condition they should have, because of the diet they received, the climate they were born into, the diseases they were infected by, and/or the injuries they received that damaged their organs.

• "Or more fast and coy in the woods?"

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definit... is not a word I would think of using to describe a dog in the woods. Nor the Yanklish version: https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definit...

And because you were so "çhicken" that you hid behind the cowardly bowler-hatted blue-faced [Anonymous], I can't even look at your "About Me" and your previous Questions & Answers to get an indication as to which dialect you use and how young you are.

As for HOW (and how LONG ago) the "most intelligent breeds" was derived that [granny] mentioned 3 of, you should read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_... or find Stanley Coren's OWN page about the survey. I've already used up the 3 hot-links that stingy Y!A allows, so you'll need to copy & paste:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/nz/blog/canine-cor...

to you browser's web-address field.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

• Jojo

"Like I know the first born is always alpha right?" WRONG.

A litter of pups will all most likely possess the same TRAITS of the actual breed, but their temperaments and personalities will differ vastly.

The temperaments range from very dominant through to very submissive and in between those two.

A very dominant and confident natured pup will be the highest in rank and the most submissive natured one will be the lowest. That is not to say the most submissive is a wimp and will have no confidence, just that it will be subordinate and will not challenge other dogs for food, toys etc, or challenge its human owner etc.

Also in a poorly bred litter of pups there may be one or two or even more with weak nerves who will run and hide or pee themselves at any loud noise or loud voice of reprimand from its owner and who may as it matures become a fear biter to try and defend itself against what it imagines is a threat to its self. But if threatened physically will turn tail.

As for IQ, each breed of dog has its own Talents that are specific to its breed. eg: Collies Herd well, and Jack Russels hunt vermin well. Some dogs like the GSD are very versatile and are `Jack of all trades` type of breed `Master of none, although that is just a general analysis.

Some breeds just love to work and learn and interact with their owners and among these are breeds bred to do work, like the Border Collie and the German Shepherd Dog, although some show dog breeders have bred these breeds to look good in the show ring, and have forsaken the true purpose of the breed which is to be a working dog and subsequently many of the working breeds are now not as orientated towards work as they used to be.

Many people these days just want a quiet and easy to live with pet dog to cuddle and make a fuss of, so many breeders cater just for the pet market, which is obvious from the amount of Chihuahua`s and pugs and other small lap dogs that are seen around the place these days.

Yes, some dogs are more athletic than others and are bred for speed like the greyhound and the Saluki which are bred together to produce the Lurcher. Lighter boned dogs are usually more athletic than dogs with more denser bone structure.

Dogs come in SO many shapes and sizes and each one is unique just as humans are, and some ARE more knowing and astute than others.

The more a pups brain is stimulated when its very young and the more it is socialised with the outside world and all that goes on in it the more its brain will absorb and the more intelligent it will appear to be.

So in short, the more someone puts into their dog, the more they will get out of it. Jmo.

Source(s): GSD owner for 56 years.

Yes, they do since dogs were bred for different functions & some while very smart and having a higher problem solving ability... may not be as willing to please, so they may "appear" less bright - when in reality, they are just stubborn (or so wickedly smart -if they are playing Tom Sawyer) to GET OUT of being expected to mind, or follow a command.

Lots of Weimaraners who are actually very smart & very high in problem solving ability (- like how to get in a lidded trash can or open a door) outsmart their owners and PRETEND to be dumb, and/or untrainable and you would not BELIEVE the number of people who FALL for this.

The book, The Right Dog for you" has rated all of the AKC breeds (when it was published) as to general learning rate, obedience learning rate & problem-solving ability.

And yes, puppies within a litter can vary widely as to personality, which is why the Volhards came up with a "Puppy Aptitude" test to determine personality & working ability; and a form of it is USED by GUIDING EYES for the Blind, when selecting puppies for their program.

Yes, individual puppies get different genes - just you and any sibling will not have the same skills or abilities. Birth order has NOTHING to do with being alpha in litters!

Yes, some dogs are stupid and some dogs are extremely stupid

• Anna

I didn't know he was a dog lover when we got together, and by the time I found out we were so in love with each other I wasn't going to end our relationship.

Yes. The most intelligent dog breed is the Border Collie, the second is the Poodle, any size & third is the German Shepherd.

I think what you are wanting to know is about the pecking order within a litter. There is only one who is the most dominate & one who is the most submissive & the rest just fall into order.

Like the pecking order with in a family unit. Look at the nursing positions. Most dominate get the best teats.

No way a Lab puppy would be as intelligent as a Border Collie. Border Collie is a herding breed & is VERY active 24/7/365!!!!!

I did have a Lab that was very active like the BC & he was very clumsy, so he was always limping cause he pull or strained a muscle or tendon. He was a funny dog. His name was Slick. He passed yrs ago.

• And I see that you have yet again confused CAUSE (a noun <the cause> or verb <to cause> pronounced as "korz") with BECAUSE (a conjunction pronounced "bee koz") despite me having told you that they are very different words.

• J C

just like human children, all dogs in a litter are variable. Quality breeders do try for uniform dogs, but each one is a bit different. Our last GSD (always working line dogs) was way to big to compete in agility - she was the largest dog in what was a uniform litter for size and color. She made up for her 'improper' size by being very confident and wicked smart! There is always a variance but hopefully only slight. And no, the first born one is not always the alpha. That depends on personality, not birth order.

i think thats possible

Yes, there will be random personalities within a litter and these will be shaped by their reactions to different experiences. The first one out is just a matter of 'being first in the alternating queue' to come out of the uterine horns. Maybe the last one out has endured more birth trauma though.

No, they are all the same. I have tested this theory over and over, as I breed vicious dogs for a hobby. They cross the finish line of a 6K run at exactly the same time (even if they aren't all sober), and they are all good at fractions and geometry.