Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 10 months ago

Can I still use expired wall paint? ?

Could I still use it? Is there a way to salvage it? 

I did not know that paints have expiration dates on them.  I use old paints all the time.

• I care

Yes, if you've kept it inside and not out in a shed.  A painter told me this exact thing.

Paints and stains can be expensive....so if you buy more think on this action.  Hope it helps? Leaving paint in the garage it seems to dry up eventually.  Also make sure if dried out...….place sand in it before it goes to the dumps.  

• ron h

be sure it's well stirred.  You can get a paint stirrer to use with a drill at a paint store.  If you don't have a drill, check out a corded drill on craig's list or a pawn shop.  Corded drills usually last forever. Open the can and stir it with a wood or plastic stir stick before you spend money.

I have with no problem. Expired is when the paint is dried up...and no longer brushable.

. there is Just expired (and there is a fairly large window there ), so it really does not go bad...except when it does.  But then you have stored it for YEARS...so it has lost most of its BITING POWER and it stinks to high heaven...it is so potent.   You don't want to use it anymore.  Parts of the paint is drying up so the paint gets like sludge...and can't be made into paint again.  The chemical reactions of hardening  are taking place in the can in the liquid.

It can be compared to Jello.  When making it it is a liquid.  As it ages it hardens into a Gel. Soon the spoon won't go to the bottom on its own...as the Jello has set.

Paint kind of does the same thing.  No longer spreadable.

• Olive

I have before, just stirred it up good and used it and all was good

DO NOT DRINK EXPIRED PAINT. You most certainly will get sick.

I never knew paint had expiry dates. I've got some that's 40 years old and it's still fine. If you can stir the lumps out, and if it doesn't smell funny, it can be used.

Some water based paint can smell horrendous after expiry as the preservative weakens. Most other paints can be used provided that it's not full of 'skin'.

Paint doesn't expire.If you can stir it you can use it.