Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 month ago

Can i keep taking Concerta to treat my autism?

I'm 15 years old and I'm a sophomore in high school and i have a mild type of autism, high-functioning-autism, and my doctor prescribed me concerta and it really helps, it improves my attention span and it also makes me more social, when i wasn't on it i was always quiet, but now i'm starting to make more friends and I'm talking to people more, is it okay to keep taking it if it makes me feel normal?

The best thing you can do for yourself, Gage, is get off the drugs and STAY off of them. Medication will NOT "cure" your Autism- it's there permanently. The sooner you accept this, the better. I have mild Autism myself, and I don't take "concerta" or anything else for it. And no, I didn't get it from childhood vaccines, in case you were wondering. In my case, it was due to birth trauma.

I think the reason you feel that the medicine improves your attention span is largely because of something called the placebo effect. You want the medicine to work, so it does- and along the way, you experience a false sense of security. That's also why you think you're becoming more social, too. You feel more secure while you're on the medicine, so naturally, you become more relaxed and social, which in turn makes it easier for you to make friends. But this won't last, because eventually you're going to need to quit taking the medicine and learn how to function without it. You can't take drugs like Concerta indefinitely, because they're habit forming and you'll get hooked on them. In fact, you really need to ask your doctor when you can QUIT taking the medicine, because it's extremely important that you learn how to function without it.

Another thing you need to do is QUIT referring to yourself as having "high functioning Autism". You have MILD Autism. There's a difference. You aren't "high functioning" anything. Calling yourself "high functioning" implies that you're a FAILURE at something. That's not how you want to be seen, especially once you leave high school for college and the adult world. Autism- whether mild or severe- has a HUGE, and I mean HUGE, STIGMA attached to it. Don't make the mistake of short changing yourself by announcing your disability to the world, because you'll really regret that later on when it's time to apply for jobs and go to work. I don't say this to scare you, just to make you aware that when it comes to employers, most HR personnel and staff will only see the disability if you tell them you have mild Autism. YOU are NOT your disability. You are a PERSON who happens to HAVE a disability. But getting HR people (who often have little or no experience dealing with people on the Autism spectrum, and who are often very ignorant about it, on top of that) to accept that having mild Autism doesn't mean you're stupid is tough. I know what I am talking about here, because I've had this very experience. I've been turned down for more than one job because some idiotic HR person got scared of the fact that I happen to have mild Autism, so I have learned to keep that knowledge to myself.

You may also have this same kind of issue when you apply to college, too. College admissions staff are just like potential employers in the work world. They see what they want to see, and the way in which you project yourself really matters. If you go for a college visit and say you've got mild Autism, that's all they'll focus on. It won't matter if you have a perfect GPA in high school, or SAT/ACT scores that are off the chart. No, the only thing that will matter is that you have mild Autism. That's sad, it really is, and I wish that American society wasn't like this. But it is.

Source(s): I have mild Autism and work in the field of mental health.

don't talk too fast though or you'll end up with schizophrenia

• Starlight 1

Autism and Schizophrenia are completely separate conditions. One is a developmental disability, and the other is a mental illness. They are NOT related to each other.

• Henry

I don't think autism is treatable, or there wouldn't be any Dems.

Talk to the doctor. Some pills have after effects. Good luck with it all.