luz asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 7 months ago

1984: Quote Response #1  “The opposite of Love is not Hate. The opposite of Love is Control.”  part 1 of Orwell's 1984 .?

They might be talking about how if you are in love, you become vulnerable

and have very little control over what happens. The other person may not

love you back, etc.

If everything is highly controlled and highly disciplined, it may be devoid of love.

The overly controlling government in "1984" was only concerned about their own

power, and not about the welfare of the people and how it affected them.

God lets us have free will because he loves us.

"The opposite of Love is Control" ... Oh Laura, Release me.

Edited ... I thought by now you would be back to edit your question.  I guess not.  When someone says love and control I think of that song from Saab commercial.  If you haven't seen it, check it out.

As for what I think you were asking .... I haven't read the book since HS.  The only thing I can recall from the first part is what I was thinking when I read the book  all those many years ago.  It reminded me of the boys coach.  He was a fan of abstinence (folklore)  and it seemed like the more wins he had the more sadistic he became.  

Love has no opposite and does not need to be reciprocated to be love.

“We’ve been infected with this idea that love is an emotion only felt between two people. But love is universal. An energy. A contagious force. A gift. To offer money to a homeless man is to love. To save a worm from the sun is to love. To smile at a stranger is love. To be grateful, to be hopeful, to be brave, to be forgiving, to be proud, is to love.” ~ A.R. Lucas

Put your hand on your heart.   Always choose love.

I was wrong once again ... it was about choices not control. 

Source(s): The more you try to control something, the more it controls you.

My response to this is that we can see the desire to control people you hate in the actions of today's Republicans. They want to ban abortion and defund organizations that provide birth control to women, so they clearly want to control whether women have sex. They want to control who we love, who we can marry, how we dress, how we behave ourselves, and many other aspects of our lives.

What exactly is your question? Could you please try speaking in complete sentences?

The opposite of love is indifference. Orwell didn't know what he was talking about.

• David B.

Larry K.; I never said he was wrong about everything. When I said he didn't know what he was talking about that was only in the context of the quote.