Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 4 weeks ago

I am a vegetarian, but my mum keeps trying to manipulate me into thinking eating meat is fine.?

When I said "I don't want animals die because of the things I eat." She said "Don't think too complicated, just thought of them as food".

And so on.

Is there any articles I could read that can make me understand my feelings right now or hers? Have you ever feel the same way?

• Louis

The first author that comes to mind is Dr. Melanie Joy. She has written books but I don't know of any articles she has written. However, she has some videos. Check out the 17 - minute one on this page first. 

https://www.carnism.org

I think this is an article worth reading

https://freefromharm.org/eating-animals-addressing...

Eating meat is fine though. shes right. It's just up to you if you want it or not. Neither of you is morally superior on this one so just ignore her and dont eat meat if you dont want it. 

• Groovy_Unicorn

Understand what? That your mom has different feelings than youm you need a book yo understand that? You need a book about the psychological reasons you dont like having a disagreement? 

• Daisy

Just because you don't eat meat doesn't mean you're not killing animals.

Production of the veggies, grains and fruit that you eat kills animals, too. Thousands of small animals, birds, snakes, rabbits, voles, even an occasional fawn, are killed every time big farm equipment goes through the field planting, fertilizing and harvesting the crops that you eat.

The veg diet is not a bloodless diet. These animals are not killed humanely, under the watchful eye of a USDA inspector, but are mashed, slashed, crippled by big, sharp plows and harvesting equipment, left to sufferer and die so you can have your veggies and grains every day.

Then even more are deliberately poisoned (mostly birds and rodents) to keep them out of grain storage bins so you can have your cereal and toast every morning.

• Daisy

Not unrelated. She claims to be veg so that no animals die from her diet. That is incorrect. The veg diet results in animal death, too. Thus she has no basis for refusing to eat meat. Eating meat, as mom claims, IS fine.

• Sammy

How about: "I can't stand the taste, makes me gag. And I will vomit."

• dgktk

And why would I want to tell you everything about me? The conversations are obviously longer than what I have typed.

Eating meat is fine. You need to eat meat so you can be healthy and live a long life. With out it you won't live long, won't grow right, won't develop right, won't have a healthy brain and worse.

• Anna

dgktk don't listen to Star. She's an ignorant animal hating child hating meat loving woman who is probably in her 60s or 70s and has a very closed mind. You'll never convince someone that close minded.

Eating meat IS fine. Being a vegetarian is also fine.

There is more than one way to do things.

No one is going to break or die because you and your mother don't share the same opinion.

• Groovy_Unicorn

Exactly what are you trying to understand? Why your mom eats meat? It's her choice. You exersice your right to choice. Why cant she? What feelings are you trying to understand? The feeling that she doesnt agree? Grow up and get over it like everyone else who's ever disagreed with someone 

tell her to respect your decisions. if she does something like that again, ignore her.

ok then, good for you