How to Disolve Bleach Scrub Paste Residue from Sink Spout?

About a week ago I used that white "Soft Scrub Cleanser With Bleach" paste to scrub my sink and now I remember that I foolishly rubbed a good deal of it up into that tiny metal grate on the end of the sink spout to tackle some green scum that I noticed.

Well I forgot to rub it out. It must have hardened into each hole and has since been depositing quite a bit of bleach each time that I use it...I can still smell it.

It's bad enough thinking about the bleach damaging my hands all this time but now this also explains why I've been having a dry itchy throat, not to mention how much bleach residue I've been swallowing after brushing my teeth and gargling.

I figure it can't be a life threatening dose yet but running the water alone doesn't seem to be washing away the residue.

Is there maybe some kind of healthy and effective Martha Stewart home solution that could help? Maybe filling a bowl with vinegar (for example) and set it on a small box in the sink so that the spout is submerged for 2 days or something?

How can I disolve all of this bleach residue that's been dried and caked up inside and around the sink spout grate?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

    Normally the bit on the end of the spout will unscrew.

    Do that and soak it some good hot water then see if a light scrub with a small brush shifts the goo. You may have to poke each blocked hole in the grate with a needle to shift it out though.

  • 4 weeks ago

    That spout "grate" should come out, usually by unscrewing. I don't know how it does on your particular tap/faucet/spout.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.