If I haven't drove in over 2 years can I start again?

During college I was driving everyday but after I graduated I moved to New York and had to get rid of my car. Now that I"m leaving New York can I just get a license in my new state and start driving again or do I need to retake a test?

• Edna

If you've been renewing your NY driver's license on its expiration date, it's still a valid driver's license even though you haven't been driving a car for quite some time.

When you move to a different state, you'll surrender your NY license and be issued a license by that new state. You may or may not have to take tests - that depends upon the licensing requirements in that state. Every state has different licensing requirements.

It all depends on why you didn't drove, genius.

If you didn't drove because you didn't need to drove but kept your license valid, you don't have a problem. But if you didn't drove because a judge issued a no-droving order against you, you have a problem.

You haven't DROVE? And you're a college graduate?

There is no requirement on your License that you drive or how often you drive. If your license is valid, yes, obtain another license in another State.

Call & ask. If its been that long you may have to retake the tests.

• CB

It really depends on the state where you now reside, and if you didn't let your NY license lapse.

Some state do not require a test or only require if you have had points against your driving record in N number of years, others make you take the state written test, and I suspect others make you take the driving test but I think that is rare.

• May

You don't say in which state you will be living but typically you will have to take a written test and then eventually a road test to get a drivers license..

"If I haven't driven....."

You can take the written test and apply for the liscense in your new State.

• Scott

That depends if your current license is still valid.

You graduated from college and you cannot even string together a simple, grammatically correct question? EPIC FAIL. It should be "If I haven't DRIVEN in over 2 years can I start again?"

The answer is that if you hold a full license and not just a permit, you can study for and take the written test in whatever state you move to, and if you pass you can exchange your NY license for one in your new state of residence.