My display won't extend, only duplicate?

So I've run into a problem with my two monitors (one an actual monitor, one is a vizio tv). My PC only has one HDMI port on it's graphics section, which forced me to buy an HDMI male to dual female adaptor, which I have hooked up. When I hook both HDMI cables to the adapter and plug it all in, it will duplicate across both screens, but not actually extend. I've tried windows+p and set it to extend, but this only shows i've clicked it, and does not change from duplication when I reload the toolbar. I've also tried going to my NVIDIA settings and checking the multiple displays section there, but it only registers one monitor, my sceptre 24 in. monitor. Not sure what to do at this point, any help would be great.

• YKhan

You can't just split the HDMI into two by buying a Y-connector type of thing. The two monitors will only display the same thing in that case. You need use two separate display ports to get a separate display.

I'm not sure if you have a separate graphics card or you're just using the default integrated graphics. You mentioned you are using Nvidia, so I'll assume you have a graphics card. The Nvidia card may only have 1 HDMI port on its back, but it's likely got other types of ports in the back too, such DisplayPort, and if it's an older card, it might even have DVI and VGA ports in the back. You will need to use one of those other ports to connect to your monitor. It's likely that your TV only has HDMI ports, but your monitor will likely have multiple connectors on it, including DisplayPort or DVI (VGA is really old, mostly only used on old CRT monitors). So connect your monitor through a DisplayPort, while connecting your TV through HDMI.

You need two HDMI ports, on the mother board, get a PCI-e adapter, for HDMI.

It doesn't duplicate because you are sending one signal to two different monitors. You can only extend between the laptop's screen and the HDMI port. If you want more, you need an external graphics card

So try putting one of the monitors on the VGA port and put the other one on the HDMI and then look at it.