Two Cars make a left turn, Who is at fault?

There are two left turn lanes at a four way intersection. There are two cars, side by side, each occupying one lane. The light turns green, both cars enter the intersection to turn left. The leftmost car crosses slightly over the dashed line and bumps into the other car. Both cars have equal damage to their mirrors (broken off and hanging). No injuries are sustained.

Which car is at fault? Car #1 in the left most lane, or Car #2 in the other lane?

Update:

I wanted to make the car on the right wasnt at fault. What if theres no video surveillance of the collision?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

The one who is in the righ lane!

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

You "can't make" anything. It is as insurance determines it to be.

. As it was at the mirror, the car at the right had the eye to see that the car on the left was swinging a bit on the wide side, so he should have adjusted his curve to swing wide as well(IMO he "could have done that>but he didn't<"  I do not know how it will be determined because I am not the insurance. Could be a 50/50 thing.  You write up "your report" as you saw it and the other driver does the same thing.  Insurance determines what happens next.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

The car that crossed the lane line is fully at fault here, You do not change aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalanes on a turn. It is called careless driving when one does it!

• 4 weeks ago

This might be a tough one. Or it might not.

If both drivers (and any witnesses, if applicable) give the same story, it's a no brainer. The vehicle that crossed the dotted line (turning lanes are still marked lanes) would be 100% liable all the way. That's if the stories match.

If there are conflicting accounts of who crossed which dotted line, it's going to go 50-50. With no video footage or independent witnesses who actually saw the whole thing happen, and with each driver claiming the other was at fault, insurance companies are just going to each accept 50% liability on their clients' behalf and be done with it. They do that all the time, and they actually have a reason for doing it.

To you and I, an accident is really personal. Being responsible for an accident is a bad thing, because it affects our insurance rating and maybe driving record. But to an insurance company, it's all about the money. It costs $25,000 just to prepare for a trial, then it gets really expensive once the trial begins, which means it's just not worth it for them to fight it out in court. Not when both vehicles are a total loss, and definitely not when the total damage is a measly few thousand. Insurance companies would all go broke in a week if they did that.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • CB
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Unless you stopped immediately (not pulled over) and took pictures, no fault will be determined and each insurance company will cover the cars using collision insurance if available.

Also - If a witness was present and information was taken that would help person who was in the right.

Both people will likely claim the other was over the line - happened to me - nothing you can do about it after the fact.

• May
    Lv 5
    4 weeks ago

Only insurance companies determine fault (liability) for an accident. Nobody here can determine fault.

• 4 weeks ago

Probably the car that crossed over the dashed line.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The leftmost car crosses slightly over the dashed line and bumps into the other car. I'm honestly surprised you had to ask

• Brian
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

I'm sure that a YA answer will cut a lot of mustard.

• Greg
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

The car that crossed the line.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.