My job is ending October 31st?

My company is closing October 31st. I’m frantically looking for work. My mom who worked in Human Resources for many years advised me to just get unemployment (which I am entitled to) and enjoy the holidays. She told me now is a bad time to look for work and that a lot of companies won’t start hiring until January. Is there any truth to this? 

No.

First, if you don't look for work, then you aren't entitled to unemployment. You are entitled to unemployment only if you do look for work (in addition to meeting the other requirements).

Second, many companies are hiring now.

Third, the economy is doing relatively well right now, but many experts expect that it will get worse soon, so this year may be a better time than next year.

• C

Your mother is as wrong now as she was when you posted this same question a couple weeks ago.

Many companies will look to hire help over the Christmas holidays. Some of their regular employees will move, retire, find other jobs or quit during the holiday season or right after. Your best bet at finding a job fast is to already be holding a temp job there.

Mommy is right about one thing: companies may be hiring in January. An employee they already have on the rolls will be more attractive than anyone who strolls in and says, "Yeah, I got laid off two and half months ago, but I decided to take time off."

She has misled you. You DO NOT qualify for unemployment benefits. And your mother is wrong. It is just mid-October. Get looking. In December, they won't be looking for full time employees and they will be again looking in January but they WILL be looking for extra help around Christmas, especially retail places. But this is just October. Don't sit on your butt. Get out there and look. Prove her wrong, because she is.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

Wrong. In fact this is a good time to get hired because stores and such are gearing up for the Holidays. But of course I'm assuming you have the appropriate skills and expertise for Holiday work.

• Amy

A lot of companies don't have room in their budgets for a new employee until the start of their business year, which may or may not be January. That makes December a good time to interview for jobs for a start date in January.

Of course, it depends on the type of job. There are lots of additional retail and shipping jobs during the Christmas shopping season.

• H

Holiday season is going to begin soon. You could try retail, even if it may not be your interest, to buy some time while you have source of income.

Depending on your field, January can be the worst time to look for work.

Retail sales and dining out dip drastically after the holidays and often times people are laid off or find their hours cut.

You will have to continue to look for work in order to collect the unemployment payments. Not sure about all states, but most want you to fill out a weekly form showing at least three places where you applied or sent a resume. If your mom works in hr, she should know that.

• John

Yes but you need to document looking for work to keep the unemployment coming anyway.