Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 4 weeks ago

How long would it take to be able to play Ice Hockey competently?

I know that learning never stops for any skill in life. With that being said, I have a very strong interest in giving hockey a try. I am 25 years old and there is a local ice rink near me that offers lessons both in the fundamentals and there is also an adult learn to play hockey class.

I was wondering how long it realistically can take before I am able to skate competently enough to have fun playing hockey. I am simply doing this for fun and recreation and to one day be able to play in a recreational league.

How long do you think it could take to be able to skate, learn the fundamentals, and play competently for fun?

• Without knowing about your overall athleticism, fitness, etc it's hard to give you a specific time-line. Anywhere from a 1-12 months depending on a raft of factors. I'll give you this- your goal can and should be to play recreational hockey which is a very reasonable goal. Work on your skating. Starts, stops, crossovers, backwards skating, edge work (skate blades have edges which you'll learn). Have a great time and hope it works out.