Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Car dealership negligence ?

Hi,

Long story short we bought a vehicle from a dealership second hand and later found out it was remapped (not by us) we only had the car 5 months and we found this out because our gearbox went bang basically, and needed replacing our Audi warranty we thought we had but is now voided because of the remap, we took the car back to where we bought it and they are replacing the gearbox with a second hand gearbox which we have no idea what it has done, whether it came from a remapped vehicle, or any faults or whether it is even safe, we now don’t want this car because of these issues we have had, our insurance premiums will now be increased we don’t know if any other problems which may occur, and we don’t know if our Audi warranty would be reinstated, our dealership has said they would remove the remap for us but when they sold it to us they couldn’t tell it was there, but even with it removed the damage has already been done to the cars internal components and is no longer standard because it has been modified.

What are our legal rights to return the vehicle and get our deposit back towards a different car or sell it back to them?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Jay P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Any time you're going to ask about legal rights, I suggest you mention where on this planet you reside. Yahoo is universal, laws are not...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Not negligence.

• 1 month ago

You have no legal rights in this. Unless you can prove that the dealer intentionally defrauded you (you can't, and they didn't), then there is nothing you can do. The only thing a dealer is obligated to disclose is a branded title (salvage, rebuilt, etc). There was no way to know if or when the gearbox was modified. As far as they're concerned, you could have done it at any time over the last five months. 

Understand that the dealer can't just "take back" a vehicle. They don't own it any longer, the lender does. You owe the full amount of the loan, regardless of the condition if the vehicle. 

Before people start saying "You should get a lawyer", understand that this is bad advice. There is nothing they can do for you except take thousands of dollars, and tell you the same thing I just did.

Sorry I don't have better news. 

Source(s): 20 years retail auto sales experience.
  • Scott
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Your vehicle was used, they are giving you a used transmission. See my point?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

First, learn to write actual sentences and paragraphs.

Next, as this was a used car, that means that new car lemon laws do NOT apply here. You could try to sue, but the burden of proof to show actual knowledge or the faults or negligence would be on YOU, and you would be very, very unlikely to win in such a case.

Next time, get the car inspected BEFORE you buy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.