Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 1 month ago

Can I use ceiling paint on trimming? ?

I was wondering if I could use white ceiling paint on trim instead of trim/door paint? 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

Ceiling paint CAN be used to paint trimming, but it is not a very good idea to do so.

Ceiling paint is paint that has a flat finish, meaning it is not shiny. Door way trim needs cleaning as does baseboard trim which gets dusty. Cleaning flat ceiling paint is a challenge because it is not smooth and does not wipe up easily, therefore it will remain stained and look like it needs to be repainted.

The amount of time it takes to paint is the same, whether you use the right or wrong paint. So, use the right paint the first time and you will not regret it or have to repaint any time soon. Please reconsider your plan to use ceiling paint as trim paint. Use a semi gloss paint finish instead. Eggshell finish paint can be wiped clean as well. But, typically, semi gloss paint is used on interior trims.

• chris
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You "could", but you'll be sorry you did!

Ceiling paint is the cheapest paint there is! It's only one step up from primer and is made to hide defects in a large open area.

Personally, for residential, I use flat on ceilings, egg shell on walls and semi-gloss on trim.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

I wouldn't.  It is not as hard or resistant to washing the fingerprints off as much as Trim paint is.  Trim paint is hard because of the gloss in it. Ceiling paint has no gloss so washes OFF instead of just washing the dirt off.

• 1 month ago

Ceiling paint is still paint. It tends to be very flat vs trim paint which has more glossiness. It is your house/your call

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Trim really needs a semi-gloss or gloss paint.  Glossy is cleanable  -- ceiling paint will wear off quickly just from simple dusting and wiping.  Door trim, in particular, tends to get a lot of grubby hand and fingerprints.

• Joe
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well... you can - but:

Ceiling paint is flat; trim paint is usually semi-gloss, or gloss.  Trim paint is also often enamel, or something comparably hard, so it can stand wipe-downs to remove hand prints.

Save a little money now, and you'll be paying for it for the life of the paint job.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It isn't tough enough to take the wear.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.