Hi All, Does my Public Liability Insurance cover me for driving a businesses company vehicle in the case of an accident?

10 Answers

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Not sure.

    Where I live, I insure MY vehicle.

    The vehicle gets the coverage.

    I don't know how insurance works wherever you are.

    Ask the insurer of your company vehicle.

    The insurance company and the policy number are written on the "proof of insurance" that is likely required to be carried in the vehicle.

    In my state, if I drive a vehicle owned by a business, a chauffeurs license is required. What about in your location?

    Better if you are thoroughly knowledgeable.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    What is public liability? As opposed to personal?

  • zipper
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

    Your company insurance should cover all drivers of their vehicles, ask your HR Department to be sure.

  • 1 month ago

    Hell no. Your company's Public Liability insurance covers that, because they own the vehicle.

    Here's how it works: The owner, not the driver, is legally responsible for their vehicle at all times. That includes any loss or damage their vehicle may cause. If I let you drive my truck and you crash it, you didn't just have an accident. I did. You may have a traffic charge or two to deal with (those follow the driver), but all the damage bills and lawsuits are mine. Don't feel bad for me, I knew the risk when I handed you the keys.

    Your employer definitely knows that. You don't need to worry about your personal liability when you drive the boss's vehicle, because you don't have any.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • May
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

    Read your policy or ask your agent.......But.... I doubt whether your insurance would extend to a commercial vehicle and if it did it would be "secondary" to the commercial vehicles insurance coverage because all vehicles, whether commercial or not are required to have their own insurance and that is usually the "prime" insurer

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    Without reading your company and the business policy I would only be guessing.

    My vehicle is SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED if used in business. My policy, likewise, does not cover me if I am driving for commercial purposes.

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    The company vehicle would be insured by the business as the business owns it.  It covers ALL drivers who work for the business.

    ,  It has NOTHING to do with your PL&PD which is your insurance in your car to pay for everyone you hit and everything you damage...First.

    .  Your personal damage does not matter as much as the Public(whom you set out to destroy...and failed)

    There is a basic amount to cover your injuries.  Nothing to will away to the kids because"Ins." is not "a Cash Cow", never was and never will be.

    You have the mistaken impression that insurance is to protect your BODY.  It is when you buy Personal Insurance, AKA Life insurance.  And they will look for any reason NOT TO PAY YOU.  And they usually do find the loophole not to pay out...especially because you did not read the clause about "Deliberately or willfully try to injure yourself voids your contract" or no pay out.

  • 1 month ago

    It's a big world out there, States and Countries make laws that can make any direct answer wrong.

    You would need to check the exclusions in your specific policy. Often they will only cover vehicle issues that exceed vehicle coverage limits for vehicles insured by the same insurance company as the PLI policy.

  • equal
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    no its a different insurance you need and you should have it on your vehicles anyway or you are breaking the law

  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

    NO. You also need a separate motor vehicle insurance policy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.