Do I have to tell future employers about past jobs?

I worked as a cashier at a retail store for only a few days. I was not fired. Would it be a good idea to tell future employers about this job knowing the very short amount of time I was there? If I don't tell them about it, is there any way they can figure out on their own about it?

• How short of a time were you there for.... If it was only a few weeks or days then don't bother.

If you use the job as a reference or on your resume then they can find out about it.

No.  If you stayed less than a week and were not fired or let go for misconduct, then you can simply exclude it from your work history.  Employers want to know about your experience, skills, and work ethic. Working a few days doesn't improve your experience or skills, and is a mark against your reliability and work ethic.  

• Judy

Unless they specifically say to list ALL jobs, you can leave it out. There's always a chance that someone who worked with you there is now at the new place and mentions it.

no. You do not have to tell them about it if you worked there under 3 months.

The only way they could find out is if you tell them of if another person who worked there with you gets hired at the new place and that person tells them. That will not happen.

• Tavy

Not for a job for a few days, they won't care. Forget it.

No you don't. I had a job that lasted only a couple of weeks and I never mentioned it.

• Vicki

You don't have to disclose it, no. And a lot of employers wont bother looking for all of your detailed work experience. The only time I find this matters is if you're applying for a gov't job. Other than that they usually just use what you tell them.

• marty

I assume they want all of your employment history no matter how long you worked there. I've only had two jobs in my life and never had to fill out an application so I can't say for sure.

They can figure it out, because you had to report it on taxes. I think I would just include it in my resume. It's better to be honest, so you won't be accused of hiding something.

• john

Empoyers can't look at applicant's tax returns. It's not allowed. Look at Trump--and he's president.

• Would be wise if you did