Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceTaxesUnited Kingdom · 9 months ago

Is council tax in the UK just another word for property tax? Do they mean the same thing?

3 Answers

  • 9 months ago

    It is analogous to property tax in the US but works a bit differently.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 months ago

    It's more a local services tax; the money goes towards maintenance and upkeep of local services (eg social services, schools, parks, roads, police, fire service etc)

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 months ago

    Council Tax is different. All householders pay anually to their local council for services.

    There are two forms of property tax in the UK. When you buy a property in the UK over a certain threshold you must pay Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT). SDLT only applies to residential properties valued more than £125,000, or to non-residential land and properties bought for more than £150,000.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.