Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 4 weeks ago

Did my daughter and I do something wrong here?

I got a note from the school that my 16 year old daughter Nancy was failing math and they recommended a tutor to help her. They sent a list of tutors home with Nancy and I started calling them. All of the tutors were very expensive. Being a single mom, I just could not afford them. I knew a family friend that I thought knew enough math to tutor her and I hoped he would be a lot cheaper. His name was Bill and he was a college senior. I called Bill and asked him if he would tutor Nancy and he agreed to do if for free. He was a great guy for doing this for her.

He did tutor Nancy for 3 months. When Nancy got her grade card, she got an A in math. We were both VERY HAPPY and asked Bill go come over so we could tell him the GREAT NEWS. When we told him Nancy’s math grade he said that is wonderful news. Nancy told Bill she had to thank him for his help so she kissed him. After she was through kissing him Bill turned to me and said “your turn”. I was so excited I kissed him also. We all had a good laugh and a group hug. Bill said “if you need any more help with school subjects, just call me”.

Some of my friends that I told about this told me what we did was not appropriate and that Bill would get the wrong idea. My take on this is that if Bill was happy and my daughter and I were happy, there is no problem. We were just having fun. What do you think? Did we do something wrong?

It seemed like no one involved felt anything was wrong, so no matters. Your friends might feel some type of way about it but at the end of the day it doesn't concern them so all is well

I got a three point plan to fix everything 

As long as you, the tutorand your daughter didn't feel it was wrong it wasn't wrong!!  Be careful of "oversharing" with those "friends" of yours!!!  I really wouldn't tell them anything else after their response!    I will say that I think his "your turn" comment was a bit off.   You could have said "how about a shake" & shook his hand.  It just does feel a bit off.....I wouldn't be worried about it but I also wouldn't want him to be alone around my daughter....after that.you never know!!!  

My question is why did you name your daughter Nancy in this day and age....

No because it was a kiss showing gratitude from you both and your neighbor can only take it and way it was given a friendly kiss hug etc as long as yall ok with it don't worry bout what others think or say they wasn't there don't understand trying to stir up something to each his own pray for those trying to steak your joy great job on your dedication as a parent and your daughter A in math .

• Linda

If you felt okay with it and it sounds like you were, then there is nothing to feel bad about. Some people think it is wrong to kiss someone of the opposite sex because it might lead to misunderstandings, but in your case, it sounds like it was all taken in stride with no sexual undertones.

• Jerry

It could be seen as leading him on, but only you and your daughter know that. I think the "now it's your turn" comment from him, was inappropriate.

Your style sounds like fiction.

No you did nothing wrong. Can't do anything today without someone looking at it through a PC lens.

• David

Not really, because all went well with a happy ending.

• Mark

Not really. I am guessing from your going anonymous, you are trolling, but be more outrageous (like "we got naked in the living room with the curtains open and danced around"), but this is not at all "inappropriate".