Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 1 month ago

Is capital punishment wrong?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Killing people is never wrong

• 4 weeks ago

Depends on what the crime is. For example, if little Johnny steals a snickers bar from the local 7-11, he deserve the electric chair

• 4 weeks ago

It's wrong and most Americans think it is wrong but then thinking it is wrong caused a upbrought generation of people that are more prone to going to prison and jail.

Other countries tend to have it weaved into them so the generation always appears more respectful and well mannered

• 4 weeks ago

I don't know - Nature sure as hhell seems to approve of it - you mess up walking along a cliff, for example, and that's it. I would tentatively say yes, for people to, with proper due process, and accurate evaluation of the crimes, possibilities for recovery and so forth, to condemn certain others to death. But I would set the standard quite high and in a direction most people would be reluctant to buy into. I'd want to know, can this person recover from the damage they have done to their soul? If not, if they are clearly full of evil and there's no coming back from what they've done, then yes - why feed them for 50 more years at public expense? They're dead already. We're sorry that they are, but - Now if we could launch them to the moon or something, where they could live in a colony that would work too. But absent that - the world doesn't owe anyone anything, and if you can't contribute something, but do do damage, then you forfeit your right to live here, imo.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

In some cases NO.

• P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only if keeping the individual alive is less wrong and views on this are likely to vary. The basis can be justice, vengeance, or expediency, and how the seriousness of the crime is assessed. Then there is the probability that the individual is actually innocent.

• small
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes..... it is wrong in my view because it is an act that can not be reversed by us and fortunately, other options are available to completely isolate someone from our society even as letting such person be alive.

• 1 month ago

1) No. Being "human" is earned. There are crimes and behaviors that are "inhuman" and as such that individual gives up his/her place in our society.

2) Yes- although capital punishment is not inherently wrong, the real life application of capital punishment will always result in innocent people dying and also it ends up discriminating against certain groups of people.

• 1 month ago

To put it pointedly, in his written Word, God does not indicate that capital punishment is wrong.

Early in human history, Jehovah shared his thoughts on the matter, as we read in Genesis chapter 9. This involved Noah and his family, who became ancestors of the entire human family. After they came out of the ark, God said that they could eat animals—that is, animals could be killed, drained of their blood, and eaten. Then, at Genesis 9:5, 6, God said: “Besides that, your blood of your souls shall I ask back. From the hand of every living creature shall I ask it back; and from the hand of man, from the hand of each one who is his brother, shall I ask back the soul of man. Anyone shedding man’s blood, by man will his own blood be shed, for in God’s image he made man.” So Jehovah authorized capital punishment in the case of murderers.

While God dealt with Israel as his people, various other serious offenses against divine law were punishable by death. At Numbers 15:30, we read this broad statement: “The soul that does something deliberately, whether he is a native or an alien resident, he speaking abusively of Jehovah, in that case that soul must be cut off from among his people.”

But what about after the Christian congregation was set up? Well, we know that Jehovah authorized human governments to exist, and he called them the superior authorities. In fact, after advising Christians to be obedient to such governmental authorities, the Bible says that such serve as “God’s minister to you for your good. But if you are doing what is bad, be in fear: for it is not without purpose that it bears the sword; for it is God’s minister, an avenger to express wrath upon the one practicing what is bad.”—Romans 13:1-4.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I think the fear of the sentence of death is a good thing if it helps stop crime. Many criminals keep re-offending because prison isn't enough of a punishment to stop them.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.