How can UK pensioners manage on the state pension when it is roughly £150 per week and much lower any other leading UK country?

Todays pensioners were promised that if they paid NI and Tax all their working life their heath care needs and pensions would be paid for in later life.  There are people who have worked for 50 years in low paid jobs for companies who didn't offer a pension scheme who are now receiving a pension which is not fit for purpose.

For those pensioners who rent, how can they afford to rent and heat a home on £150 per week?

Observer, U.K. pension scheme, from the outset, was meant to be enough to live on because everyone who worked and paid National Insurance contributions did so for the very purpose of it creating a pension when we retired. Prior to people paying N.I. there were many very poor people in U.K. and it was brought about to get rid of poverty. It worked that way for some time but not these days. Don't confuse us with people in U.S.A. where there is a completely different scheme.

I served in the RAF and i only get 24.80 pounds a week i would love 150 pounds a week

would not be a problem if all muslims paid their way but most don't they Live on wealfare

• A C

Maybe get a flat-mate or two. 

• stop whining, my mother and father get a pension and they get by.

• PAMELA

They often struggle, some will have private pensions as well from their jobs, but some as you say will be on the flat rate pension, some may be able to claim pension credit.

• Jojo

Depending on the individual pensioner and the amount of savings they have, they can apply for pension credit if their state pension is not the full amount. Also all pensioners get a winter heating allowance, free prescriptions and eye tests and a bus pass, and if on pension credit they pay no council tax. In some circumstances, Housing rent is paid by the state or even an outstanding mortgage.

I could live on a state pension plus pension credits and not find it too hard going. I have some savings but in general my yearly living budget comes to Around £10,000 or £11,000 as I am quite frugal and do not fritter money away.

I only qualify for a `part` pension of £355`s a months so my savings are slowly dwindling away. But the good thing is I own my house outright, so as I age more, I can either downsize or take out equity on it.

Many pensioners, especially males, do gardening work or paining etc to help with living costs. Women do ironing or cleaning and Its cash in hand, so they do not declare it and good luck to them I say.

Source(s): Pensioner UK.

idk but were are all the questions, in senior citizens? IT IS LIKE A DEAD ZONE IN HERE

I don't know about pensions in the UK, bit here in the states the SS is suppose to be a supplement to what one has put back or their retirement from working. The key word here is 'supplement'.

• Cogito

In the UK we were never expected to put anything aside personally for our retirement, as the government collected compulsory contributions every payday.

Pension credits would top that up to £167 for a single person plus you will be eligible for cold weather payments amongst other things. Not a lot more but better than a kick in the head.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-...

The system was not indented to support fully, which is what people do not seem capable of understanding.