If Jesus was a carpenter, why is their no mention of anything he constructed?

Update:

Where did that carpenter thing come from?

75 Answers

Relevance
  • Best answer

Nowhere does it say he was a carpenter. The only word used is tekton, which can mean a craftsman of just about any trade. To add, Matthew says it was his father. Different manuscripts of Mark are conflicted on whether it was him or his father, if I had to guess, it was his father like Matthew says.

• laidawestbrook2
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

In ancient times the son took the trade of their father or adoptive father. Joseph was a carpenter.

• 1 month ago

Apart from the Universe you mean?

• 1 month ago

Why would there be?

• 1 month ago

A big IF, but one thing makes sense, and thats creativity is more important than literacy,

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Maybe because his biographers didn't know the difference between "there" and "their." (Just guessing.)

• Denise1 month agoReport

His father Joseph trained him as a carpenter. Carpentry was Joseph and he train Jesus that skill.

• 1 month ago

He built hell, where all atheists will end up in

• laidawestbrook2
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

King James Version
      Acts 2:31 he seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.

• 1 month ago

I have the feeling that the Romans forced him to make his own cross because they were that cruel. 

• 1 month ago

Yes he was and I don’t why it doesn’t mention

• 1 month ago

that was not important. better a carpenter than a pizza delivery guy

• What makes you think being a carpenter was such a respectable job back then? It isn't even one now. Many people in the industry are nothing but crooks and drug addicts.

• 1 month ago

Jesus is still a carpenter and He builds temples as we accept Him everyday. Paul said, "Do you not know that you are the Temple of God and the Holy Spirit dwells in you?" Not only did Christ create you when He made Adam and Eve; He declared "Life is in the blood" and He declared "I am Life." A Carpenter Builds. He makes things. Jesus Christ is the Chief Carpenter of Life.

• laidawestbrook2
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Matt. 19:4, 5: “[Jesus] said: ‘Did you not read [at Genesis 1:27; 2:24] that he who created them [Adam and Eve] from the beginning made them male and female and said, “ Jesus statement he God) who created not me (Jesus)

• 1 month ago

He was a "tekton", which means a craftsman. He could have done carpentry or wood-working, been a stone mason or built houses.

But why would that be mentioned in the Bible? It had nothing to do with his mission on earth.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
    • Hope1 month agoReport

And there is no need for fabrication. As the Aid to Bible Understanding says nothing as to what you wrote.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.