Mary asked in SportsRunning · 1 month ago

Which is the best sports watch for running?

• 3 days ago

Soccer involves alot of fast running

I enjoy a brisk early morning walk around my 4 million dollar mansion wearing my diamond studded Hublot, custom made for me I must add.

We can't say. There are many different watches to satisfy the many different combinations of features runners might want. The best watch for me might be a poor watch for you.

Let me tell you some of my thoughts:

Some watches will record lap and/or split times.

When I was training for a 4 hour marathon, I timed a "lap" every half mile. If I wanted to go back and look at the variation in my 1/2 lap times, I would want a watch that records 60 or more lap times, for up to a 30 mile training run.

I'm in the northern United States. When I was working 1st shift, it wasn't unusual for me to go running at night in the winter, when the days are short. So, I like watch with a light for the dial. Some Timex sport watches have a feature where a flick of the wrist will light the dial, so I don't have to push a button.

My current watch is a Garmin Forerunner, and I *really* like it. It can display pace, average pace, distance, time, and other data items. I use the "autolap" feature, which records a lap time every 1/2 mile or other distance. It uses a chest strap heart rate monitor, although the soft strap wears out way too soon.

The Forerunner is a line Pace Distance Monitors (PDM). Some PDMs are multisport.

• Jogger2425

One thing I don't like about my PDM is the battery is not replaceable. Rechargeable batteries have a limited lifetime. When the battery will no longer stay charged for the duration of my workouts, the watch will be sent to electronics disposal recycling.

• .

I did research before I bought one, and I got the Garmin Vivoactive HR (but I also got it at a good discount). Most of my running friends, at the time, were suggesting the Garmin Forerunner, which is also a well rated sports watch.

It really depends on what features you want/need, and what price point you're looking for. Do some research on watches for runners (or smartwatches) and see what's out there. Some play music, some don't. Some you can send text messages and make calls through, others you can't. The one I selected has GPS and tracks my pace, time and distance while I run. It also monitors heart rate via a sensor on the bottom of it (so it's getting that info via the top of your wrist - I do not know how accurate that is). It also has a list of other activities you can choose (swimming, biking, walking, etc) and is "waterproof" to a certain depth, as long as you don't push any buttons on it while it's underwater or it's wet. I'm very happy with my choice and it ran me around $150 via Walmart (online).

I had a Timex that I received on my 12th birthday that had a battery that lasted for almost seven years.

Rolex...........